Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

So I have a few months in SE Asia going thru the following countries:

Indonesia
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Vietnam
    Laos (Time Permitting)

I would like to know if anyone knows of companies that offer single way bike rental so that I save time going in big loops or doubling back on certain paths.

I have a rough time table for these countries of 3-4 weeks in each.

#1 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 00:09

• Advertisement

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

Your going to find it difficult/impossible to do that I think. Unless you hire a bike from a different place in each country and send it back to them (which doesn't seem likely that a rental shop would do that).

It would be a lot of effort organising everything. Have you thought of buying a bike LEGALLY in a country that allows that and then taking it over the borders. I'm not sure on all the rules and whether they get followed but I would say owning a bike yourself is a much cheaper and easier way to go, if you can of course.

The easiest way though is to just buy a bike in each country and sell it before you leave and maybe rent and send back on a train if that is possible aswell.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 02:33

• robertjcuer-
    vo

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Yeah, that is my next option. Unfortunately companies with multiple offices and/or locations exist in that part of the world.

It would just be ideal then going around in loops. Buying does work out more expensive then renting unless your got a buyer in the last country which as far as I know you cannot sell a bike outside of the country you buy it there.

Thanks for the feedback.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 03:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Buying a bike in Thailand is a bit tricky if you don't have a visa and address to base out of. Meaning a one year visa. Not sure if it's possible otherwise. Vietnam I know is easier, but crossing borders with the bike is trickier. A rentel in Bangkok, the travelling to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and then down to the Mekong and riding along it to Ubon and then back would be a nice trip though. No better place to be a steel horse cowboy than Thailand.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 03:58

• robertjcuer-
    vo

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Yeah, I guess at this stage I will just have to go country to country and trip and loop back around. As for vietnam, no chance really of looping around that easily.

Can anyone suggest any good routes for Laos, Cambodia?

#5 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 18:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Laos gives you the same problem you have with Vietnam - it's a long, thin country. Basically you can drive around in a loop up north, or you can do south along the Mekong and back up the same way.

In Vietnam you also have a problem getting a license to ride anything bigger than a Minsk. There are CC restrictions that are pretty narrow.

Last, but not least, people here become morons when they drive any motorized vehicle. I don't know why it's part of the collective psyche, but the rules are ignored, even driving convention is often ignored when it suits someone. It boggles the mind... So drive assuming moronic behavior at all times.

#6 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 00:40

• robertjcuer-
    vo

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Ahh ok, Thankyou for the tips MADMAC!

As to the comment about moronic behavious at all times, I come from Sydney...have been to a few countries now and still appears we have some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.

#7 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 05:35

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Robert
    The answer to your problems is to buy in saigon and then ride in to cambodia and laos and back into vietnam and up to hanoi This can be done only on a viet plated bikes using certain
    boarder crossings . Before any one says different I know this to be true as i did it myself 6 weeks ago

Regards Johny

#8 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 08:40

• robertjcuer-
    vo

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Hi Johny,

How much was the bike you purchased and were you able to offload it after use easily?

Regards, Robert

#9 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 15:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    Can I take my Vietnamese registered bike into Thailand from Cambodia?
    If so how difficult is it?

#10 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 05:44

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sayadian,
    I've had a lot of mixed reporting concerning moving motorcycles across borders between all of the states here. I know in theory you can cross into Laos from Thailand, but in Mukdahan / Savanakhet the officials won't allow it. Local policy. A friend of mine did cross at NKP / Thakek. Go figure.

I have no idea about between Vietnam and wherever though. Someone posted on here a while back he could not cross into Laos on his motorbike from Vietnam, even though he had all his paperwork in order.

Going into Cambodia, I don't know.

#11 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 05:50

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

OK, thanks for the answer.What I'd like to do is cross from Cambodia where I and my motorbike are into Thailand. Problem is the bike has Vietnamese registration and plates so strictly speaking it's not even legal here.Though I've been stopped once for a traffic violation the cops only wanted to see my Cambodian licence they weren't interested in the bike just $3 for an illegal turn.No receipt of course.Policing here is basically a way of making extra money rather than enforcing the law.

#12 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 23:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It sounds like you really need to get back to Thailand man.

#13 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 02:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One-Way Motorbike Rental ... By soontobewrldtrv on 30 Mar 2012 2 3094 23 Apr 2012
Motorbike rental in Hue ... By MotHaiBa on 12 Oct 2011 0 1593 12 Oct 2011