Motorbiking in Asia forum

Transporting Motobrike on Train

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    I bought a motorbike in Hanoi and rode it around the NW to Sapa. In a few days I will travel back to Hanoi by bus, and the bus company have said they will take the bike for me on the roof... Total cost I think is around $32.
    However, when I get to Hanoi I want to transport it (and myself) to Hue and continue travelling from there. I don't really have enough time to do the journey by bike, so i've decided this will be a good way to cut some of the travel time.
    Can anyone advise me on how to get myself and my bike to Hue? Is it best to go by train, or to look into another bus? Any ideas how much it will cost?
    I'll be arriving in Hanoi at 5:30am (apparently... will probably be a few hours later...) on Saturday, so i'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

-Chris

#1 Posted: 28/3/2012 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

It should be quite straightforward to put your bike on the train but they might not take bikes on all trains. However, if you book yourself onto a train and they say they can't take your bike on the same train, you will be able to put your bike on another train and collect in Hue . If you book the train through a travel agent, they should be able to book the bike as well.

Train fares from Hanoi to Hue (booked direct) range from 654,000 to 850,000VND, although I'm not sure about the bike fare. Don't bank on being able to book a ticket on the day of travel.

This article about putting your bike on the train in Lao Cai isn't directly relevant but would be worth reading: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/hanoi/2011/08/19/putting-your-motorbike-on-the-train-in-lao-cai/

#2 Posted: 28/3/2012 - 02:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.