Motorbiking in Asia forum

Driver\'s licence, Cambodia

• Salisubsila

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey All!

Anyone who knows how much it costs to take a test and get a driver's licence for motorbikes i Cambodia, and where the best place to do it is? My traveling companion hasn't got a driver's licence at all, but I have an international one, that should be valid for Cambodia.
    Is it worth it to get the licence at all, or better to take the trouble, should we get pulled over?

Thanks for your help!

Salisubsila

#1 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 03:35

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you've already got a licence from home, car or bike, you can get a Cambodian one for $30 from Lucky Motorbike shop on Monivong,Phnom Penh (they'll do all the paper work,2 pictures required) The licence allows you to ride small bikes 125cc, I think, and drive a car.It's either that or aprox $3fine if your caught by a cop which of course you won't get a recipe for.
    BTW you don't need an international licence.

#2 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 13:16

• Salisubsila

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2012

Well, he doesn't have one at all, but we've heard one can do a test and can get a tourist licence. Does anyone know more about this?

http://journals.worldnomads.com/safetyhub/story/62697/Malaysia/Do-I-Need-A-License-To-Ride-A-Motorbike-In

#3 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 23:35

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If your stopped make sure most of your money is hidden.Leave about $3 in it.The cop will take it as a 'fine'.It really isn't worth the hassle of doing a test.
    What concerns me more is if he has no licence what experience of riding does he have?
    I'm an experienced rider and I've been t-boned by idiot drivers twice.Riding in Cambodia isn't like the West.You have to expect anything.Be particularly careful at junctions as 'right of way' is a joke.If there is a test in Cambodia not ONE Khmer would pass it.They drive like children in a bumper car.Mind you Vietnam is ten times worse.

#4 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 23:53

• Salisubsila

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2012

He has been driving a bike in Thailand, Laos and Vietnam with no problems, so nothin to worry about there. I think he's actually more competent at the southeastasian "rules" than the western ones now:)

#5 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 01:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Rules? What rules? The only one I know of is the law of the jungle-might is right.
    I lost my bike doing nothing more than 20k/h because this idiot just had to get ahead and clipped my front wheel.Sending me and the girlfriend flying.Ruptured the tank, smashed the headlight and numerous other damage and the S.O.B. sped away.I think however careful you are driving is a lottery out there.But go for it.I got straight back on a bike after that.If he's driven in Vietnam he'll find Cambodia much easier.Saw a guy in Vietnam drop his bike on a curve and he was so drunk he couldn't find it again despite the fact it was under his feet.On a serious note the accident rate in these countries is horrendous.Take care, enjoy the trip.

#6 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 02:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
International Drivers Permit vs British Driving Licence... ... By kittenpooh on 28 Feb 2007 3 2220 3 Mar 2007