Motorbiking in Asia forum

road trip bangkok to chiang mai

• vagabonder83

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012

Hi i am about to do my 1st trip to thailand, i have some motorbike experience and like to get off the beaten track and was considering hiring a motorbike in BK http://www.bangkokbikesrental.com and doing a road trip up to chiang mai stopping and staying at a few places along the way. I only want to go 1 way so is it possible to put your bike on the overnight train back to BK?. is this really worth doing? or would it just be better to do this by train? and input is uch appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 2/8/2012 - 21:41

• Advertisement

• MarnusNel

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2012

Any help needed.

We are two friends arriving in Bangkok on 22 December 2012.

Our plan so far is :
    22 Dec - Bangkok
    23 Dec - Bangkok

Then heading off to Cambodia side (dunno how yet)
    Spend some time in Cambodia and possibly Vietnam (we would like to do some biking around for a few days up to 27 Dec.

Then somehow get to Koh Samui side (can we take a ferry across the gulf of Thailand or must we fly)

Then spend time in Thailand (possibly renting bikes)

Flying back to South Africa from Bangkok on 4 January 2013.

So - no real plans but would like to get some info wrt travelling around etc.

We not concerned about accommodation as hotels are cheap enough and Im sure there are enough places to chose from.
    (I have previously only been in Phuket for 10 days so this is a wild trip)

Please suggest what can be done in the time we have etc etc.

#2 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 10:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.