Motorbiking in Asia forum

Scooter rental Thailand

• Buffy_Wedlin

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Hi there, I'm planning a month-long trip to Thailand with my boyfriend and we really love the idea of doing at least some of the tour on scooters. I've been trying to find some more information on the whole process. I know about not leaving your passport at the rental place, the crazy traffic, etc. What I'm wondering is: are there rules about where one can take a rental bike, i.e. can you take it out of the city from where you rented it?
    Thanks for the help!

#1 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 20:07

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Each rental shop will be different, but most rental places I've used don't put any restrictions on where you can use the rental scooter, and quite often I've done out-of-town, overnight trips. You might want to get in a couple of shorter, day rentals for practice before you take on a longer trip. You also might want to try those longer trips in places quieter than Samui or Chiang Mai. A trip up river from Nong Khai comes to mind, and if you wait for it ..., Tilapia will jump in and talk about a wonderful day or overnight trip from Sukhothai to Si Satchanalai that is really worth the time and a great ride.

As you said, be safe by always wearing a helmet, assuming that other drivers will do really silly things directly in front of you all the time, and driving well within your own ability. Be sure not to put anything in the basket that you wouldn't want to suddenly donate to random passers by either, as bag snatching can be common in some areas. Take it easy. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes you can -- I've taken rental scooters from Chiang Mai over half way to Bangkok no problem.

Not sure about taken rental bikes off the Gulf islands by ferry, but aside from that I wouldn't expect any problems.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:26

• Buffy_Wedlin

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Fantastic, thanks for the quick responses and for the advice on where to go! I've been trying to do some budgeting - is gas going to be a major expense that I should account for ahead of time?

#4 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 13:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also - don't count on not leaving your passport behind! You can try but you're unlikely to succeed. You could try offering to leave a laminated copy behind, which I tried, but without success when hiring cars in Thailand. (Worked OK at guesthouses in Vietnam though).

#5 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 14:53

• Buffy_Wedlin

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Now that's interesting! I read that it's illegal to be caught without your passport on you, so I wasn't planning on letting it go at all. A lot of guides advise renting through the guesthouse instead of directly from the rental company.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 14:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I had a two hour standoff with a small rental agency once over hiring a 4WD once on Koh Phangan. It took two hours because I had time on my hand and I was in a stubborn mood - but the agency won in the end. There was no way they rent out without taking my passport.

Having said that, a few years earlier I hired a car in Chiang Mai and dropped it off in Bkk so I didn't hand over my passport then. But I had organised it online and paid by credit car, so that was there security I guess.

The problem with the smaller guesthouses renting out bikes is that they don't offer insurance - so that's most likely why they want the passport.

Insurance is something you should also look into very carefully. Most travel insurance policies won't provide cover if you have an accident on a motorbike and aren't complying with local laws (which may mean a local licence in some countries). Not sure about Thailand. But there have been numerous stories of being stuck in hospital and have to get their families back home to do some serious fundraising to pay for medical expenses, evacuation costs, etc. Read your policy VERY carefully.

#7 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 15:06

• Buffy_Wedlin

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Thanks for the warning, I'll see what else I can find out. I hear places will let you leave a cash deposit instead of a passport? It seems like it will just depend where I go...
    I was definitely planning to get travel insurance. I'll have my motorcycle endorsement and an international driving permit so I should be set legally, and it looks like World Nomads policies will cover motorbike accidents.

#8 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 15:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Now that's interesting! I read that it's illegal to be caught without your passport on you"

Buffy, this is going to sound strange I know, but depending where in Thailand you are (Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya have different rules than the rest of the country) the law doesn't really matter. This isn't a nation of laws. In western civilization, the law tends to be seen as coming down from God on tabletts. Not so here. The law here, if the Police know it at all, is a negotiating start point in the event there's a problem. I live here, and I NEVER take my passport anywhere in country anymore unless I go to Bangkok. Last time I went to Khon Kaen and I didn't bring my passport and the clerk at the hotel said they had to have it and I said "well, I don't have it, guess I'll have to sleep someplace else" and suddenly they didn't really need it. I've been stopped by the cops for a host of small driving offenses and never paid a fine always just get a warning. I would be completely shocked if the police stopped you and demanded your passport. I have had them ask on the bus when I didn't have it at a check point and I just showed them a drivers license and that was good enough. That said, I would not surrender my passport to anyone either - cause I don't want it stolen or "Misplaced".

#9 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 08:36

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"The law here, if the Police know it at all, is a negotiating start point in the event there's a problem." - Well said MADMAC...money talks!
    I simply carry a photocopy of my passport with me in the event that a guesthouse insists on keeping my passport with them for scooter rentals.

#10 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 09:33

• Advertisement

• Buffy_Wedlin

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Madmac, thanks for the tips. That really clarifies things for me. Thanks so much for all the help! I don't suppose any of you live in the Midwest U.S. and want a couple cats, do you? You'd be solving all my problems then ^_^

#11 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 13:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Muk - Hiking? Bike or Scooter rental? ... By Lizzo on 11 Jan 2008 0 2590 11 Jan 2008