Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbiking without license

• thelonewand-
    erer

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012

Hi my first post on travel fish. Woo hoo.

I'm out in Singapore until December, and am wanting to embrace the lands around me. I am passionately excited about motorbiking from Johor Bahru (Malaysia) and buying a bike there, through thailand, cambodia and vietnam until Han Noi, where I plan to fly back to Singapore after selling the bike on there.

The main thing I am worried about is insurance. I am a cautious driver, but if someone else crashes into me, my travel insurance probably won't cover me as I don't have a motorbike license (they cover me up to 125CC). I have a full UK driver's license, but no motorbike license.

I am so ecstatic about this road trip, but am worried that if I have an accident, I'll be in trouble. It's not everyday I am out in SE Asia, and I want to embrace it now while I can.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 00:16

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Depending on your insurance, some require an international drivers license as well, motorbike certified. If you do not have the proper license and you are injured, your insurance will not pay for it.

You can certainly make long journey's for fun on a 125cc - even go onto some dirt roads if you like. Though I can't imagine taking a long-haul like you've described on one.

Also realize that only certain border crossings will let you take a motorbike across.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 02:14

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Please be aware that in some SEA countries, they do not recognize the International Driving Permit. Your insurance may require that you be properly licensed to drive in these countries and that means getting a local driver's license.

#3 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 03:22

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

If your insurance policy is with a UK company then any accident you have while riding a motorbike will not be covered. So - no cover for the bike, but more importantly no cover in case you need any medical care. Or third party cover for that matter.

#4 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 10:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's a huge risk. If you have an accident, you and/or your family back home could sturggle financially to cover the bills that insurance won't cover.

Check out these stories - both relate to the impact that their accidents had on their families as they didn't have insurance cover:

http://www.supportcarlbart.com/ - he is a relative of one of the regular TF bloggers/contributors

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/7843909/Kiwi-counts-high-cost-of-his-misadventure - the story of a fellow Kiwi who came to grief recently.

I'm not saying 'don't do it' - but you need to be very aware of what you are taking on. Against better judgement, I've taken on the risk myself, but I restrict the areas where I ride to relative low (and slow) traffic areas, ride slow and always wear a helmet.

Your best bet is to get a local licence before you leave, but in your case, it may be too late for that. It's something I'm supposed to be working myself before I venture onto a motorbike again.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 13:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

These long, cross border motorbike rides are getting more and more difficult as time goes buy. More and more regulations are being put up everywhere in the world. In country SEA is still pretty Lessaiz Faire, but at border crossings, rules and laws actually might mean something. Most disconcerting. So while your idea is a nice one, doing it on a 125cc bike would suck and the hurdles are each border crossing eventually will probably be insurmountable.

#6 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 23:54

• LastWalkman

Click here to learn more about LastWalkman
    Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

It's impposible. You can not take your bike to Vietnam. Most of rider choose option of renting or buying a bike in Hanoi or HCM city and sell it when fiinish their trip

#7 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 00:44

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

So are you saying it would be best to buy a bike in Vietnam first then it's easier to get into Laos, Cambodia, Thailand. Rather than buying a bike from any of those and trying to enter Vietnam?

It's difficult to find some solid rules on these border crossings, some people say it's easy some people say impossible

#8 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 03:07

• Dannyboy6

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2013

Thailand accepts International License , I would get one at AAA for $15.00 or so, you can get counterfeits at Khoasan Rd shops, I've used mine since 2009 , yeah it expired but I never show front page, always open to picture page, once they see IL, they let you go cannot collect Tea Money if you have Inter. L, never drive in Fast Lane, Right Lane in Thailand or Passing Lane, you will pay Tea Money for this infraction, I was also stopped for driving with lights on, even though proven it's Safer, cost 100baht or about 3 bucks, also Drunk Driving in Pattaya will cost you about 40,000 baht, up from 1000baht a couple of years ago, take baht bus in Pattaya instead it's only 10baht or 30cents American, if anybody needs info for Thailand Issan areas or Pattaya, contact me danboyd3@gmail.com

#9 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 23:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.