Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Buying a Motorbike in Malaysia

Posted by sdel on 18/1/2013 at 20:39

Hi All,

I've really enjoyed researching Travelfish and related forums so far, everyone here has great info. I'm curious if anyone knows about purchasing motorbikes in Malaysia, particularly the prices to expect on new versus used bikes. I'll be looking for a 125cc that can carry me + my girlfriend. We'll be flying into Malaysia from Bali but don't know exactly where, probably Johor Bahru, Melaka, or Kuala Lampur, so I'd also be interested if anyone knows whether there is price variation by location. I've heard that the paperwork process for a foreigner to purchase a bike in Malaysia is much easier than, say, Thailand or Singapore.

We're hoping to keep costs low but find something that could take us far (with frequent repairs along the way of course). Ideally, I want to try to spend under $1000 USD (~RM 3000). I've done some Internet research, but I also imagine buying locally may be cheaper. Anyone have a strategy for buying locally in Malaysia? I was thinking getting set up on a home stay with locals could be helpful.

I would appreciate any advice.

I'm also getting my international driver's permit with motorcycle certification endorsement.

#1 sdel has been a member since 17/1/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.