Motorbiking in Asia forum

Buying a Motorbike in Malaysia

• sdel

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2013

Hi All,

I've really enjoyed researching Travelfish and related forums so far, everyone here has great info. I'm curious if anyone knows about purchasing motorbikes in Malaysia, particularly the prices to expect on new versus used bikes. I'll be looking for a 125cc that can carry me + my girlfriend. We'll be flying into Malaysia from Bali but don't know exactly where, probably Johor Bahru, Melaka, or Kuala Lampur, so I'd also be interested if anyone knows whether there is price variation by location. I've heard that the paperwork process for a foreigner to purchase a bike in Malaysia is much easier than, say, Thailand or Singapore.

We're hoping to keep costs low but find something that could take us far (with frequent repairs along the way of course). Ideally, I want to try to spend under $1000 USD (~RM 3000). I've done some Internet research, but I also imagine buying locally may be cheaper. Anyone have a strategy for buying locally in Malaysia? I was thinking getting set up on a home stay with locals could be helpful.

I would appreciate any advice.

I'm also getting my international driver's permit with motorcycle certification endorsement.

#1 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 20:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
buying anti-malarials in malaysia (not for malaysia) ... By christay2009 on 18 Oct 2009 8 3689 30 Oct 2009