Motorbiking in Asia forum

motor bike loops for noobs

• melmariet

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2009

Hello! I am traveling with a friend considering trying one of the many motorcycle loops famous in sea. Unfortunately we are both inexperienced, and hoping for some advice as to some ways to get comfortable and prepared for taking the journey. Can anyone ( suggest easy day trips in northern laos or Vietnam? And recommendations for what might be an easier safer route than the king lor loop? I was looking at this loop, http://www.travelfish.org/feature/19

wondering if having paved roads would make it better?
    Obviously we would wear helmets, go slow, etc. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 00:13

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well I was a super-noob when I did the Bolavan long loop in Southern Laos and had no problems with it at all. One great thing about getting your road legs in Laos is that the drivers are very courteous and the traffic not very bad. I wouldn't start riding a bike in Vietnam.

Anyway, the road from Pakse to Tad Lo is a breeze, and then from Tad Lo over to Paksong is very quiet and relaxed. Get to see a number of nice waterfalls, and both Tad Lo and Paksong are very unique. I don't think the wider loop is necessary unless you have the time and just want to enjoy the ride.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/83
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/10

#2 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 00:43

• melmariet

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2009

Thanks! I will look into it, If only I hadn't just arrived in Vientiane from pakse! Just missed it. Are there any other nice loops in Laos further north of Vientiane?

#3 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 01:10

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Well, I don't think it's a very good idea. Someone's trouble free run doesn't mean that they all are. The annals of SEA tourism are littered with stories about motorcyle mishaps.

I'd also inspect one of those helmets before you start thinking that it might act as a safely device.

#4 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 01:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm not sure about what the 'loop' is like, but I have some friends who rented motorbikes a few years back to explore around Luang Nam Tha and they enjoyed it very much.

#5 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 06:48

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The road from Luang Namtha to Muang Sing is about 55km good sealed surface and passes some pretty interesting territory. Can also continue down the road to Xieng Kok on the Mekong but that stretch of road is a bit more seasonal. You can rent simple 110cc scooters in Luang Namtha on the main drag, then maybe use it around town for a day to get used to it and/or reveal any problems before you head to Muang Sing. You can also ride to the Chinese border, also 55km and back again in a day. Traffic is generally light on these roads but look out for big blue Chinese trucks hauling ass down the middle of the road.

#6 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 09:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Learn to ride before you come or ride in rural areas with little traffic. Traffic volume can be high here, and drivers are insane half the time, moronic the other half. Most new riders get small bikes without a clutch, but the reality is these bikes are harder to drive and less safe than something a bit larger with a clutch. Be careful, as the environment is pretty unforgiving.

#7 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 05:36

• ricwolt

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2013
    Location Australia

Hello
    I will arriving in Vietnam around April 27 2013 and want to buy a motorcycle in HCM to ride to Hanoi.
    Anyone out there want to do something simular and possibly travel together.
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy a motorcycle in HCM

#8 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 23:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

For bike sales in Saigon, try this link:

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/classifieds/asia/vietnam/ho-chi-minh-city/motorbikes.html

#9 Posted: 9/4/2013 - 00:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam by (motor)bike ... By PrincessSimon on 16 Jun 2009 2 2515 17 Jun 2009
Motor Bike trip through Malaysia ... By samuijimmy on 9 Jun 2011 1 2160 16 Jun 2011
Wanted: Vietnamese motor bike (Laos) ... By DelDavis on 30 Mar 2012 0 552 30 Mar 2012
Vietnam Motor Bike Ride - Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi ... By ozscott on 2 Nov 2009 3 3550 16 Nov 2009