Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

motor bike loops for noobs

Posted by melmariet on 29/1/2013 at 00:13

Hello! I am traveling with a friend considering trying one of the many motorcycle loops famous in sea. Unfortunately we are both inexperienced, and hoping for some advice as to some ways to get comfortable and prepared for taking the journey. Can anyone ( suggest easy day trips in northern laos or Vietnam? And recommendations for what might be an easier safer route than the king lor loop? I was looking at this loop, http://www.travelfish.org/feature/19

wondering if having paved roads would make it better?
Obviously we would wear helmets, go slow, etc. Thanks!

#1 melmariet has been a member since 10/4/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by caseyprich on 29/1/2013 at 00:43

Well I was a super-noob when I did the Bolavan long loop in Southern Laos and had no problems with it at all. One great thing about getting your road legs in Laos is that the drivers are very courteous and the traffic not very bad. I wouldn't start riding a bike in Vietnam.

Anyway, the road from Pakse to Tad Lo is a breeze, and then from Tad Lo over to Paksong is very quiet and relaxed. Get to see a number of nice waterfalls, and both Tad Lo and Paksong are very unique. I don't think the wider loop is necessary unless you have the time and just want to enjoy the ride.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/83
http://www.travelfish.org/feature/10

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by melmariet on 29/1/2013 at 01:10

Thanks! I will look into it, If only I hadn't just arrived in Vientiane from pakse! Just missed it. Are there any other nice loops in Laos further north of Vientiane?

#3 melmariet has been a member since 10/4/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by fondo on 29/1/2013 at 01:18

Well, I don't think it's a very good idea. Someone's trouble free run doesn't mean that they all are. The annals of SEA tourism are littered with stories about motorcyle mishaps.

I'd also inspect one of those helmets before you start thinking that it might act as a safely device.

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 171
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 29/1/2013 at 06:48

I'm not sure about what the 'loop' is like, but I have some friends who rented motorbikes a few years back to explore around Luang Nam Tha and they enjoyed it very much.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/3/2013 at 09:18

The road from Luang Namtha to Muang Sing is about 55km good sealed surface and passes some pretty interesting territory. Can also continue down the road to Xieng Kok on the Mekong but that stretch of road is a bit more seasonal. You can rent simple 110cc scooters in Luang Namtha on the main drag, then maybe use it around town for a day to get used to it and/or reveal any problems before you head to Muang Sing. You can also ride to the Chinese border, also 55km and back again in a day. Traffic is generally light on these roads but look out for big blue Chinese trucks hauling ass down the middle of the road.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,872

Posted by MADMAC on 10/3/2013 at 05:36

Learn to ride before you come or ride in rural areas with little traffic. Traffic volume can be high here, and drivers are insane half the time, moronic the other half. Most new riders get small bikes without a clutch, but the reality is these bikes are harder to drive and less safe than something a bit larger with a clutch. Be careful, as the environment is pretty unforgiving.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by ricwolt on 8/4/2013 at 23:24

Hello
I will arriving in Vietnam around April 27 2013 and want to buy a motorcycle in HCM to ride to Hanoi.
Anyone out there want to do something simular and possibly travel together.
Can anyone recommend a place to buy a motorcycle in HCM

#8 ricwolt has been a member since 8/4/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 9/4/2013 at 00:38

For bike sales in Saigon, try this link:

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/classifieds/asia/vietnam/ho-chi-minh-city/motorbikes.html

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.