Motorbiking in Asia forum

border crossing problems

• petethered

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey guys, so me and a friend have been riding around the north for a bit over a north and having a great time, but the other day we hoped to cross in into laos near dien bien phu. they wouldn't even let us get through the vietnamese side, just said flatly "no". they told us that we needed a international transport permit for the bikes to cross. i had a friend do it a couple years ago with no permit. right now we are riding south to try at the na meo crossing and hoping for better luck there. anybody have any info? better border crossing for bikes? how to get a transport permit? we have a 3 month multi entry vietnam visa. thanks in advance for the brainstorming

#1 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 05:14

• Advertisement

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Do you have the owners papers for the motorbikes and where did you buy them? Even with all the right VN paperwork you are unlikely to be allowed to bring bikes over the border - unless you find a border official willing to bend the rules. To get the transport permit you would need to go to a provincial government transport office (and would need an interpreter), but it may take days or be completely impossible. I'll see if I can find out anymore info. But you may need to start thinking of a plan B if you want to go over the border.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 20:19

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Did some digging. You need owners papers, VN drivers licence, multi entry visa (to VN), single entry visa to Laos and proof of date you will be returning to VN to get the permit to take your bike over to Laos. If you have all the correct paperwork the permit is issued at the border and should only cost around $5. Hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 19/9/2013 - 04:18

• petethered

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2011

ok, well it actually went quite smoothly, no problems getting across the border. you have to pay $20 at the border and you get a green customs slip and that's all. the lao side didn't care at all, of course. i don't know what the deal was with the guy up in dien bien phu crossing that simply wouldn't let us do anything, my guess is he was just kind of a dick. anyway, na meo border crossing is totally doable as long as you have a blue card for the bike in case anybody else wants to do it. it's not the best road getting there, but the roads on the lao side are actually better than the vietnamese side. the lao side closed for lunch and we had to wait till 1:30 to get thru, but if you get there before 12 it should be fine. also there are hotels on the way up the 217 in quan son and i'm pretty sure in na meo right at the border, too. then 80km from there to sam nuea in laos, but i did pass at least 1 guesthouse that was closer by 30km or so.

#4 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 09:20

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Thanks for that! Enjoy Laos.

#5 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 09:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.