Motorbiking in Asia forum

Buying motorbike in Indonesia?

• CoolOperator

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2014

Hey everybody.

I have my flight tickets booked to Medan and I will fly out from Bali. I would love to do this trip with a motorbike or scooter.
    I've done some reading about it and people tell me that it's impossible to buy a bike in Indonesia?

Can anyone confirm this, or do anyone know a way around it?

It would be very cool to buy a bike in Medan and then sell it later in Bali. I've heard that bringing a bike out of Sumatra with Sumatran number plates will be a problem. Is that true?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

C.

#1 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 04:58

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes, you can buy a bike. And yes you can take a bike out of Sumatra with Sumatran plates. Just make sure all the paperwork is sorted... correct licence, STNK (registration papers), that sort of things. If you have problems, be prepared to pay the relevant fine for breaking the law. For example, you probably aren't allowed to register the bike in your name as a tourist -- at the very least, it's going to be a major pain. So when you are pulled over by the police, you're going to need to explain whose bike it is. Also, when you sell the bike, it would then have to be to someone who knows how to fix the paperwork mess. We've had a couple of bikes which we've had to sell really cheaply due to these paperwork issues.

Would love to know how this all works out for you!

#2 Posted: 11/9/2014 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
buying domestic Indonesia flights online from outside Indonesia - please advise ... By Infin1tty on 1 Sep 2014 4 438 10 Sep 2014