Motorbiking in Asia forum

Best country to buy a bike in South Asia ?

• Wink

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2014

Hello Travelfishes,

I'm planning to go for 5 months trip around South-East Asia, main destination will be Laos.
    Planes being a bit cheaper for Thailand and Vietnam, I'm considering starting my trip there, buy a Motorbike and ride to Laos.

Could you please advise me on which place would be the best to buy my bike and start the journey ?

Apparently Ho-Chi-Minh have very good overall prices for bikes, I'm also looking at Hanoi or Bangkok (top 3 cheapest plane tickets so far).

My main concern here is the price, I didn't picked specific destinations yet.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 25/8/2014 - 09:02

• Advertisement

• petethered

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2011

either hanoi or ho chi minh, then. taking thai bikes over the borders isnt as easy, i believe. i would recommend hanoi because the north of vietnam is also absolutely amazing and then you should be able to go most/all the way down through laos. i have done a couple motorbike trips in laos and love riding through there, but my trip around northern vietnam is the best i've done in se asia, allow at least a month. you can take the bike out to either cat ba island or even better and go to cai rong in bai tu long bay. then cruise couterclockwise to sapa and dien bien phu. be ready to be amazed and give yourself extra time in cao bang, meo vac, and dong van and those surrounding areas.and sapa is a great "touristy" spot to chill and recharge after those little more remote places. all of them breathtaking. price should be about the same either place, depends on how many travelers are selling when you arrive in town and how long you have to look for 1. should be between $200-$300 and i wouldnt pay more than $250(for a win, at least, and that's the only bike i would buy).

#2 Posted: 26/8/2014 - 15:20

• Wink

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2014

Thank you so much for your advices, it's very helpful to plan my trip.

#3 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 04:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying into South East Asia - Which country to start in? ... By kipcasper on 13 Sep 2008 4 5143 29 Sep 2008
Travel Insurance to Cover Motorbiking without Bike Licence in Home Country ... By StephJayne165 on 14 Aug 2012 2 2666 20 Dec 2012