Motorbiking in Asia forum

Best country to buy a bike in South Asia ?

• Wink

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2014

Hello Travelfishes,

I'm planning to go for 5 months trip around South-East Asia, main destination will be Laos.
    Planes being a bit cheaper for Thailand and Vietnam, I'm considering starting my trip there, buy a Motorbike and ride to Laos.

Could you please advise me on which place would be the best to buy my bike and start the journey ?

Apparently Ho-Chi-Minh have very good overall prices for bikes, I'm also looking at Hanoi or Bangkok (top 3 cheapest plane tickets so far).

My main concern here is the price, I didn't picked specific destinations yet.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 25/8/2014 - 09:02

• Advertisement

• petethered

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2011
    Places visited:
    At least 44

either hanoi or ho chi minh, then. taking thai bikes over the borders isnt as easy, i believe. i would recommend hanoi because the north of vietnam is also absolutely amazing and then you should be able to go most/all the way down through laos. i have done a couple motorbike trips in laos and love riding through there, but my trip around northern vietnam is the best i've done in se asia, allow at least a month. you can take the bike out to either cat ba island or even better and go to cai rong in bai tu long bay. then cruise couterclockwise to sapa and dien bien phu. be ready to be amazed and give yourself extra time in cao bang, meo vac, and dong van and those surrounding areas.and sapa is a great "touristy" spot to chill and recharge after those little more remote places. all of them breathtaking. price should be about the same either place, depends on how many travelers are selling when you arrive in town and how long you have to look for 1. should be between $200-$300 and i wouldnt pay more than $250(for a win, at least, and that's the only bike i would buy).

#2 Posted: 26/8/2014 - 15:20

• Wink

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2014

Thank you so much for your advices, it's very helpful to plan my trip.

#3 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 04:22

• chrishumphr-
    ey19

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Not sure if you've already gone on your trip yet but... I've been living in Hanoi for one year now, and I'd really recommend getting a bike here. There are quite a few motorbike shops here, where you can buy bikes, and get them serviced/repaired too. I usually go to a place called Phung Motorbike, which is at 13 Ngo Huyen street, near the cathedral. Phung has a really good reputation and a good selection of different bikes. He's a nice man, I often end up sitting in his shop drinking tea with him!

#4 Posted: 20/12/2014 - 23:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Does Vietnam still have those CC restrictions on motorcycles? For touring I really recommend something with a decent saddle and a little more power than something in the 100cc range.

#5 Posted: 21/12/2014 - 01:59

• gecktrek

Click here to learn more about gecktrek
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 108

back in 2013 the largest i saw was the 250cc bikes the easy-riders-guys were using...

#6 Posted: 21/12/2014 - 13:34

• travistrave-
    lgea

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2014

Off the Beaten Track

Hard as it may seem, it’s still possible to get off the beaten track in Thailand.Ride the Burmese border from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot. You’ll go through untouched hilltribe villages and beautiful scenery. A word of warning though, it’s very mountainous and tough on the legs!

Nearly everywhere is off the beaten track in Cambodia and Laos but we particularly loved the journey from Phnom Penh up the Mekong to the Laos border. Many rural villages sit on the river’s banks and they’re so fascinating. The main road diverges completely away from the river here so you’re really on your own with the locals – no bad thing!

The ride from the Laotian capital Vientiane to Luang Prabang is very well known but mostly it’s travelled by bus so cyclists can still have some special cultural experiences here that the backpackers miss as they fly past in air conditioned comfort.

#7 Posted: 21/12/2014 - 23:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I was with you until you got to "Air conditioned comfort". I'd rather ride a motorcycle than a bus any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

#8 Posted: 22/12/2014 - 01:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying into South East Asia - Which country to start in? ... By kipcasper on 13 Sep 2008 4 5667 29 Sep 2008
Travel Insurance to Cover Motorbiking without Bike Licence in Home Country ... By StephJayne165 on 14 Aug 2012 2 2977 20 Dec 2012