Motorbiking in Asia forum

motorbike riding: tours, hiring & finding ride buddies!

• motogirl

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2007

I am heading to thailand in Jan 08. Just wondering if it is necessary to pre-book tours?
    Converting from british pounds to aus dollars makes a week tour like $1500!!

Are there local travel agents who can book a group ride/tour around thailand?

Also, any other riders plan on being in thailand around mid jan next year?

#1 Posted: 18/11/2007 - 20:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi motogirl,

most folks choose to travel independently in thailand rather than book tours, since, as you've hinted, the tours can get pretty expensive and cost quite a bit more than just organising it yourself.

i typically just hire motorbikes when i get to a specific destination rather than take a bike with me from place to place (although i've seen lots of people take their hired motorbikes over great distances). the problem with that most motorbike rental shops will insist on holding your passport while you have the bike out, making long-distance trips impractical.

also, i'm guessing from your screen name that you know your way around a bike. thailand can be an extra dangerous place to ride, particularly on the stretches of roads between town where the trucks and buses are going far faster than they should and without much concern for the motorbikes out there.

i'm sorry that i can't suggest a particular tour or company for booking a ride/tour. i guess i just haven't seen too many people do that sort of thing. hopefully someone else will chime in with specific recommendations for you. have a safe trip. cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 06:19

• motogirl

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2007

hi there exacto,
    thanks for your reply :)
    the tours seem pretty steep, and from what i am hearing, it is pretty easy to meet other travellers.. i suppose it doesnt matter if i get lost on bikes for a couple days, makes for a bigger adventure! (so long as i dont miss the flight back home!)
    thinking i will just hire a separate bike in each spot (eg phuket, ko samui, ko tao and chiang mai... dont think i will brave bangkok traffic!) for the chiang mai part of my trip, will hopefully run into some fellow travellers keen for some sight seeing of the mae hong song loop by bike!

#3 Posted: 22/11/2007 - 17:19

• travelhappy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hi motogirl

have you checked out the GT Rider site - http://www.gt-rider.com/

It's a discussion board for bikers around Chiang Mai - they do maps etc as well specifically for bikers. There's one guy, David I think, who has biked around Chiang Mai for years and is available for beers most weeks if you want to have a chat to get info. (I think you have to buy the beers though!) I have biker friends who really recommend this site and reckon David is a top bloke, but I haven't met him myself.

Cheers
    Chris

#4 Posted: 22/11/2007 - 17:57

• motogirl

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2007

Thanks for that Chris. Have seen the site, but did not look at it too closely, will have a look now :) Might have to buy this David fellow a beer ;p

#5 Posted: 22/11/2007 - 18:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey again motogirl,

there are some great extended rides out of chiang mai and a few good day trips too, like the road down to lamphun or a ride up to doi inthanon. the trip from chiang rai to the golden triangle, over to mae salong, then back down to chiang rai is good, as are several trips up into the mountains from there.

on our last trip to ko samui we particularly enjoyed riding on the southern part of the island. the roads were good and not crowded at all. we spent a few days just wandering around and discovered some pretty fun stuff. cheers.

#6 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 11:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Finding travel buddies 06-19May ... By navilink on 29 Mar 2012 1 1865 29 Mar 2012
Mount Fansipan 2D/1N - Finding Guides and Buddies ... By navilink on 9 Apr 2012 1 1921 10 Apr 2012
Riding a motorbike through Bo Y/ Ngoc Hoi crossing ... By avanmaanen on 20 May 2012 1 1138 28 May 2012