Motorbiking in Asia forum

Riding motorbikes in Saigon and up the coast

• eml924

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Does anyone know if its possible to ride a motorbike from ho chi minh up the coast to da lat and then on to nah trang?

Is it safe or is it better to get the train and or buses?

#1 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 04:41

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

eml924

Not only possible, often undertaken.

BUT...

I'd suggest you need to be an experienced rider, be using a larger bike, and have good quality insurance (just in case).

There are several good posts here on Travelfish about bike riding in Vietnam.

Go type in 'bike riding in Vietnam' in the Search Travelfish box on the upper left of this page and review the threads.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 13:51

• asiabiker

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2009

Hi eml924,

I'm looking at doing something similar (but in the reverse) by motorbike. How did you go with it?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 10:08

• eml924

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hey asiabiker,

I did not end up riding, I just ended up getting buses. I only had a week, so I did not have enough time. But I definitely think that this is possible and would recommend it.

Just make sure you have a bit of time. The roads were fine and the scenery was amazing. The only thing that I would recommend is that you have a good map. Because if you take the wrong turn, I reckon it would stuff you trip up quite a bit. But Im sure the people you meet along the way will help you. It seams like a popular route.

From nha trang to dalat was rather nice. The landscape was amazing and then coming back down into to saigon was also beautiful. Just be a bit careful coming back down into saigon, because the road has quite a few blind corners.

Let us know if you give it a go.

#4 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 17:09

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

asiabiker

take highway 20 out of dalat down to Di Linh, then highway 28 down to Phan Thiet. High 28 is a great ride.

From there you can take highway 1 and cut straight across to HCMC or highway 55 down to Vung Tau. Take lots of sunscreen though, it'll be hot!

#5 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 09:34

• asiabiker

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2009

Thankyou :-)

#6 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 18:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.