Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbike licenses

• scarfie

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2009

I'm just wondering if you need a license to ride motorbikes of all cc sizes?
    My travel insurance motorbike cover only covers me if I hold a valid license in Vietnam. I am aware that International Licenses aren't accepted. My girlfriend and I are only in Vietnam for 3 and a half weeks, so are their any other options for us if we want to ride motorbikes?
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 10:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In theory yes, in practise, most tourists ride bikes without one.

I contacted a friend who runs motorcycle tours out of Hanoi and he said the following:

"There's a change going on: foreign tourists cannot get a motorbike license in Vietnam but can apparently use their international riding license for a short while. Last week the Vietnamese embassy told Belgian tourists in Brussels that it was possible. No word yet on when any of this starts, but seems change is on the way."

The thing is, even if this was announced officially tomorrow it would probably take some time to filter down to street level policing. That said, having an international riding license would be a good start.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 16:58

• scarfie

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2009

Ok
    I'm just worried about motorbiking or scootering and not being covered by insurance. I might check out what the insurance company says about international licenses in 'Nam.

#3 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 02:57

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Scarfie

I've just bought another yearlong insurance policy (here in Oz). In the process, after some of the conversations here on Travelfish, I decided to investigate whether motorbike riding was covered, and any applicable details.

I found some companies cover motorbike riding, but only if you are licensed to drive in the country you ride in. I figured this was a waste of time - other Travelfish readers wrote about how it's almost impossible to get a licence.

Some companies said riding was covered IF, I have a motorcycle licence to ride the appliable class of motorbike in my home country, AND I had an international drivers licence.

The company I went with said I was OK up to 200cc, BUT I needed an International licence, and I HAD to wear a helmet.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 05:01

• johnjones

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2009

Thanks for posting this, I knew very little about international licenses and recently started to ride my bike again and next time I go on a trip I am definitely looking into getting a motorbike.

#5 Posted: 24/12/2009 - 01:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Man, the "licensed in the country you are in" seems to be quite the hurdle. If you are on a 30 day tourist visa, it's hard to imagine how you can get a drivers license in that country. I had to have a one year visa in Thailand and a residence here before I could get my license.

#6 Posted: 27/12/2009 - 10:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.