Motorbiking in Asia forum

Rental Contracts

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Hi I'm currently in Chiang Rai and want to do the Chiang Rai loop. I have rented a Honda motorbike from my guesthouse (Chart Guesthouse) and have a question about the rental contract. I have bought insurance that means I will only be liable to pay 3000 baht in case of an accident.

The contract does say that I am liable for 20,000 Baht if the bike is stolen. I thought this would be included in the insurance as it is outside my control. Is this standard practice? Can anyone please provide any guidance?

Mant thanks in advance.

G

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

G

As the posts to Travelfish over the years will attest, a foreigner in Thailand is fair game.

For 20,000baht, I'd suggest that's the price of a new bike.

I doubt there is an insurance 'standard' in Thailand. My personal experience is that loss by theft isn't normally covered.

What sort of travel insurance (ie from your home country) do you have. I ask merely to suggest you look on that to see what is covered. It may be that such a loss is recoverable.

If you are really concerned, ask Chart GH to provide you with a decent chain and keyed padlock. And, if the thought that the GH might have a duplicate key, go buy a decent padlock of your own.

- - -

Just a note, if you have either an accident or the bike is stolen - make sure you get a police statement. Nobody in Thailand pays out unless there is a police statement.

Happy biking.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 20:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sounds normal to me. The insurance tends to be for accidents not theft -- and in practise I'm not sure how useful that bit of paper would really be... whenever I've had prangs I've just got the bike repaired myself and never told the rental agency about it -- easier that way, and as long as the bike isn't totalled, repairs are quite cheap.

You'll pay 10,000B for a second hand motorbike in avg condition, a new bike, say a Honda Dream kickstart is worth around 35,000-40,000B at the moment.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:34

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Many thanks for the prompt replies guys. I am just concerned about scams where you are followed and the bike is then stolen (loaded onto a pickup, call me a pesimist). I was going to check with another rental agency in the morning, but if there is no standard then I think they might just convince me to rent with them instead. I'll ask the GH for a lock and key.

Many thanks agian for the information. It is much appreciated.

#4 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:09

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Gazz

If you haven't yet purchased the 'deal', check out the quality of the bike.

I rented last April form a reputable bike shop in Chiang Mai, I took the initial bike back after a day due to brake collapse, the second cracked a head on the first day I had, and I enjoyed the third.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:13

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

The bike seems to be in really good condidtion its an automatic Honda quick. All things seem to be in good working order. As far as I'm aware chart doesn't rent through a large company. I've rented the bike from a lady who owns a small number of bikes. The lady wants to keep my passport behind reception at the guest house as a guarentee.

#6 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Gazz

Some do want this. It's never bothered me (though some get uptight over it). I always ask for a photocopy of my passport 'just in case'.

I suppose if you didn't want to leave your pp, you could always leave a sizeable deposit.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:31

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Cheers Bruce,

I've got a copy of my passport but i'll get a copy of the page with my Thai visa on it. Can't wait to do the trip - the photos/description on this site are awesome. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

G

#8 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:37

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Bruce, Somtam,

Just got back from biking the Chiang Rai loop - An awesome experience. Had no problems whatsoever with the bike just technology and the weather. My camera stopped working at Doi Patang (one of the best views I've ever seen) and the Pu Chee Far lookout was smothered in cloud. Even so, what an awesome trip - Apart from the stunning views the journey between Mai Chan and the mountain road between Doi Patang and Pu Chee Far were defo the highlights.

G

#9 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 11:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Great stuff -- glad to hear you enjoyed the trip, though a shame Phu Chee Fah was clouded out. How'd you go for a bed up there, when I was there it was midweek and near everything was closed -- got the impression though that it got busy on weekends with Thai tourists.

#10 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Yeah everything was closed. Heading north I rode to the group of guesthouses a couple of km north of the turn-off for the viewpoint. I stopped and asked at the first restaurant on the left and they very kindly phoned a woman who owns one of the bungalows. Cost me 400 Baht, which is by no means cheap, but the room was nice enough and the restaurant i originally asked at serves great food.

#11 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 10:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.