Motorbiking in Asia forum

Laos - Rountrip LP ->LP on rented bike possible?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi all,

I'm currently in Vientiane and planning to go north towards Luang Prabang in a few days.

Once in LP, i was thinking of doing a round trip on a rented motorbike.The idea would be to go north from LP towards Nong Khiaw, then continue east to Nam Noen and from there south to Muang Kham, then Phonsavan and back to LP.

Would it possible to do this on a rental at all? and if so, what kind of bike would i need? Would i be alright on a step-trough or does road conditions demand a dirt bike or similar?

All info is highly appreciated.

//

#1 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 18:15

• Advertisement

• gijsvanpelt

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2008

When i was in LP last year, it was quite difficult to rent a motorbike in LP, where in every little city it was possible(they dont want foreigners driving bikes in LP). So if you ask around a bit, I think you will be able to rent a bike, but more expensive the the rest of Laos.
    I would advise you to rent a dirt bike for your own comfort, in the north not all roads are paved, and roads are steep!
    But the trip has the most beautiful scenic views i have ever seen!

Have fun there

#2 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 18:44

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

All the locals drive step throughs and somehow survive. I'd be very straightforward about where you are going when talking to the rental places. I've read on these forums lots of rentals now.

#3 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 21:04

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

How much of a biker are you? I've ridden the usual 100-110cc bikes quite a bit in Asia but wouldn't touch a dirt bike without getting some training beforehand. If you can't get through with a regular bike, you probably shouldn't be driving on that road unless you're a pretty experienced biker.

#4 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 03:02

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks for the replies people.

gijsvanpelt, could you suggest a place, preferably as close to LP as possible, where it would be easier to rent a bike?

Lother, I guess i'm not really that much of a biker, but i do have a licence and i've been riding some 800km on step throughs while in Thailand. I also rode dirt bikes as a kid. In this case the idea of a dirt bike was more if the roads was so poor that it would be easier on one of them than on a scooter.

//

#5 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Who's up for rented car travelling in south of Laos? ... By nogagis on 15 Nov 2009 4 1749 4 Jan 2010