Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Laos - Rountrip LP ->LP on rented bike possible?

Posted by Sampan on 26/1/2010 at 18:15

Hi all,

I'm currently in Vientiane and planning to go north towards Luang Prabang in a few days.

Once in LP, i was thinking of doing a round trip on a rented motorbike.The idea would be to go north from LP towards Nong Khiaw, then continue east to Nam Noen and from there south to Muang Kham, then Phonsavan and back to LP.

Would it possible to do this on a rental at all? and if so, what kind of bike would i need? Would i be alright on a step-trough or does road conditions demand a dirt bike or similar?

All info is highly appreciated.

//

#1 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Posted by gijsvanpelt on 26/1/2010 at 18:44

When i was in LP last year, it was quite difficult to rent a motorbike in LP, where in every little city it was possible(they dont want foreigners driving bikes in LP). So if you ask around a bit, I think you will be able to rent a bike, but more expensive the the rest of Laos.
I would advise you to rent a dirt bike for your own comfort, in the north not all roads are paved, and roads are steep!
But the trip has the most beautiful scenic views i have ever seen!

Have fun there

#2 gijsvanpelt has been a member since 10/6/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by somsai on 26/1/2010 at 21:04

All the locals drive step throughs and somehow survive. I'd be very straightforward about where you are going when talking to the rental places. I've read on these forums lots of rentals now.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by Lother on 27/1/2010 at 03:02

How much of a biker are you? I've ridden the usual 100-110cc bikes quite a bit in Asia but wouldn't touch a dirt bike without getting some training beforehand. If you can't get through with a regular bike, you probably shouldn't be driving on that road unless you're a pretty experienced biker.

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by Sampan on 27/1/2010 at 10:31

Thanks for the replies people.

gijsvanpelt, could you suggest a place, preferably as close to LP as possible, where it would be easier to rent a bike?

Lother, I guess i'm not really that much of a biker, but i do have a licence and i've been riding some 800km on step throughs while in Thailand. I also rode dirt bikes as a kid. In this case the idea of a dirt bike was more if the roads was so poor that it would be easier on one of them than on a scooter.

//

#5 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.