Philippines forum

Travel to Negros Occidental

• rinabanana

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2010
    Location Philippines

Hello!

The Negros Island has a lot to offer. Negros Occidental offers both beach and mountain resorts. The town of Sipalay located south of the island has a long stretch of white sand beaches. Punta Bulata is also a nice resort. In the north, you can visit the man-made Lakawon Beach resort in Cadiz City and the sandbar, Carbin Reef, located at Sagay City. Further north is Bantayan Island.

For mountain resorts, the Mambucal Resort is a must see with its 7 falls. If you want to experience hardcore mountain hiking that could last 3 days, go to Patag in Silay City.

If you'd like to go on a food trip, Bacolod City (the province's capital) boasts of great restaurants with excellent and affordable meals and service. Don't forget to try the city's specialty-- the Chicken Inasal (grilled chicken) at the Manokan Country. For fine dining try 21 Restautant. For a mix of booze and good food go to Pepe's. Skip Starbuck's and try our very own local coffee shop, Cafe Bob's; you will find that their coffee is half of a tall drink, but the taste is A-ok. For the best backribs, drive over to Lord Byron's located inside of a subdivision in Homesite.

Do not ever miss pigging out in Calea; that is if you have a sweet tooth. This cafe located at the Lourdes Center building along Lacson Street presents a wide variety of heavenly cakes. Their imported chocolate cake is the best-seller. My own personal favorites are the white chocolate cheesecake and mousse bombe.

If you wish to see old ancestral houses, Silay City will be your ideal spot. The airport is located in the same city. Checkout Cafe 1925 for brews, yummy salads and sinful desserts. El Ideal will provide you with local delicatessens, I would personally recommend their Dulce Gatas. This is milk candy made from carabao's milk.

Other treats you can bring home are the famous piaya, barquiron and barquillos. For island souvenirs, stop over at the Bacolod Showroom. You can find here a showcase of different prodcuts from the different cities in Negros Occidental.

Best time to visit is in October. During this time the province's capital, Bacolod City, celebrates the Masskara Festival. Expect a lot of street dancing and parties.

April also boosts the province's tourism as it holds the Panaad sa Negros Festival.

#1 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 12:05

• Advertisement

• renrendiaz

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2010

I've been there last month and i was enjoy having a tour in Negros Occidental.There is one reason for me to come back is their ancestral houses that really amaze me.

#2 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 20:14

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Many many thanks to sharing your Negros Island information. Really this site is nice.

Thanks and Regards.
    Rick

#3 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 10:16

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

The mystique island of Siquijor, one hour's ferry ride from Dumaguete is a truly enchanted isle with some lovely beaches and great scenery

#4 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 04:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

How's the nightlife there? And how are costs?

#5 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 06:01

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

You mean you didnt mean to go there on purpose?

#6 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 06:10

• tipsygoon

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2012

Hey guys!
    I can definitely recommend Negros Island as well. I was living and working for while in Sipalay. The beaches there are great. There is also amazing diving, just moved down to Dauin a while ago which is also great. There is so much to do in the area. lot's of things are easy to reach from Dumaguete. I recently found a website that helped me a lot. They give really useful information and the pictures are just amazing. I can totally recommend it. www.travellingthephilippines.com
    Cheers

#7 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 09:07

• mythjen

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hi rinabanana! Great in summing up what to expect in Negros Occidental. Down south, going to the Negros Oriental capital Dumaguete are scenic seaside towns which will catch your eye, despite the damage wrought by the earthquake last January on the once well kept roads leading there.

You'll enjoy the local tourism spots there as well. Best regards!

#8 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 20:25

• rinabanana

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2010
    Location Philippines

Hi mythjen! I definitely agree! I've been to Dumaguete and I so love the laid back feel of the place! I love early mornings at the Boulevard! And my favorite cafe, Cafe Antonio! I'll definitely write one about it when I get to visit again. :)

#9 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 07:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.