Philippines forum

bicycle on airline malay to phils

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

hi am seeing lots of contradictory info re shipping bikes on air lines. in container or not? and what will they charge? anyone know which airline flying from Borneo to cebu would be cheapest with bike. thank you very much for info

#1 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 03:27

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

You will need to check with the airline for their regulations and charges.

From Borneo, I suspect you will have to go to either Brunei or Kota Kinabalu to get a flight to Cebu.

Take a look at Cebu Pacific's website for their flight schedule. I did ask Cebu Pacific about a bike and they told me the bike would have to be in a container with tires deflated. I suspect they won't charge you for excess baggage if you meet the 15kg limit. (Sorry forgot to ask about that.)

#2 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 14:52

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

wow thanx for your effort. i was thinking Kota Kinabalu. original thought was ferry from Sandakan to Zamoenga as no prob with bike, but too much cautionary notes about going that way. i will check with airlines. again thanx for prompt info.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 23:16

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi Sapote!

You are welcome!

That ferry trip sounds like an interesting alternative. Zamboanga is an interesting spot. Than you'd have to take a flight from Zamboanga to Cebu.

What are the warnings about the ferry trip?

#4 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 12:36

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

goonistik, ferry is in area of unrest. could be unsafe for travel by several accounts. extremist groups operate in that vicinity apparently. what do you know of Zamboanga? i have the name of guest house that dutchpickle posted on another forum. he did take the ferry back in, i think feb. yes then fly to cebu which is then my same prob with bike? do you bike? where abouts do you live? i apprciate your help, thanx again.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 00:44

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

While there are areas that you would be better off avoiding, I think Zamboanga should be pretty quiet and safe. All those newspaper reports exaggerate the risks of traveling in Mindanao.

I was thinking it might be interesting for you to take the ferry to Zamboanga. Than take a bus to Dapitan (check out Dakak). Than you can take the Dapitan-Cebu ferry.

Read this. It is written by a local.
    http://tourism-philippines.com/zamboanga-city/

for ferries to cebu
    http://oceanjet.net/
    http://www.cebuboattrips.com/index.htm

I live in Quezon City. I can ride a bike but I haven't bought one yet.

#6 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 18:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.