Philippines forum

borrow bicycle philippines

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

hello friends,i will be biking in malaysia,but a hassel to fly with bike. wondering if any one out here is willing to loan out a casual riding road bike for 6 weeks. i plan to bike cebu,leyte,negros and bohol. i am a low miles biker and wont need a mountain bike or many gears. renting for that lenght of time is expensive. thanx for any help and suggestion.

#1 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 22:51

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

You could probably look for a 2nd hand japanese bicycle. They sell for about 3,000 Pesos about $75. You can also try to meet-up with the local cycling community and see if anybody is selling a bicycle you can use. A new made in China bicycle might be about $100 (am not too sure about that price)

The problem is that touring bicycles are not popular in the Philippines. With the ubiquity of the jeepney and tricycles, most cyclists here use bikes for leisure (MTB or racing)

From what I can find out there are 3 main bicycle stores in Cebu. Wellson, Aison and YKK.

YKK shop
    68-74 Legaspi Street
    Cebu City, 6000 Philippines
    Phone: 63 32 255 8853
    Fax 63 32 253 8489
    email: info@ykkbikes.com

Aison Bike shop
    Aison Surplus, AS Fortuna St., Mandaue City, Cebu
    Landline: 032 344-0473
    cellphone: 0922 928 7536
    email: aisonbike@yahoo.com

I came across this post from a Filipino forum:
    Mountain bikes?? there is this large warehouse in Highway Mandaue at the Back of Petron Gasoline after BDO. You'll find lots of Japan Surplus bikes there. Even folding bikes, BMX and racers too. Though its a bit discouraging at first sight due to their condition and rust. But If you really take a look at each closely, you can assemble a very nice bike for only a price of 2,700 which can cost you around 20,000 in the bike shops. and note, that 2,700 i told you about is already dual shock (i.e. front and back). Try visit there. I'm not selling these bikes nor am I an agent so don't bother asking me for pics.

http://www.istorya.net/forums/sporting-goods/128100-mountain-bike-surplus.html

#2 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 11:53

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

goonistik, thank you. you always have a good answer and so present. hope you are getting your own queries answered so well. when i arrive Cebu i will look up these used bike places. good suggestion. thanx again hope your day puts a big smile on your face

#3 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 22:06

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

You are welcome. I just found out there is a "Cebu Bicycle club." I don't know if it is still active.

YKK might be the best place to get info and to meet the local bicycle community. They might know somebody who is selling a bicycle so he can upgrade.

Just remember the local term is "Surplus bicycle" for those 2nd hand Japanese bicycles. It just might be that Aison is the big warehouse of surplus bicycles that is near the Petron gas station and Banco de Oro (BDO) branch.

#4 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 10:15

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

goonistik, hi there am now biking down east coast Cebu. town of Dalguete hmmmmm spelling. did get bike in Cebu out of really good luck. mostly all going well. sometimes accomadation scarce on the ground, and in general bit more spendy then i expected. question for you if youre around, i still think to go to Negros, but will be back in Cebu city 24th meet friend then to Bohol. question what of accomadation possiblities on southwest coast on Cebu? would rather bike new territory. also thought might bus back from MoalBoal, if no pensiones etc. or there are really difficult up hill streatches. i enjoy biking but am not a real distance rider. any suggestion always appreciated. thanx

#5 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 12:21

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi sapote!

I am glad things worked out with the bike. I am sorry but I am not familiar with the accommodation along the southwest coast of Cebu.

#6 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 16:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.