Philippines forum

A change from Thaland>> looking at Palawan ?? any help ?.

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi all, been to thailand 6 times usually Koh Phangan and looking for a change, am married with two young children 2&3 and while researching other destinations stumbled upon Palawan and fell in love with the pictures we have seen around Coran ect. Know nothing about the philippines so any information would be great. We are looking to go around christmas 2011 for a month, would this be a good time to go and could we find beach accomadation in this area for the same sort of price and standard as we can in thailand. Working class so our budget would be around £15 per night max for a couple with 2 kids. Basically looking for a lovely sandy beach with great views and safe swimming for the kids. Nothing to expensive or overly touristy but open to options. Would a month be too much in one place but really after a relaxing time and great weather to escape the british winter. Any recommendations on good places to stay and eat, dont mind basic accomadation as long as we have the basic needs for a couple with young kids. Any information on this or other possible alternatives for a months holiday greatly appreciated, kind regards Dave..

#1 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 06:36

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

Definitely go to Coron. This website has not been updated but it gives you a place to start.

http://corontourism.info/index.php?page=home

I suggest you check out tripadvisor to see some reviews.

Be sure to book your flight early as December is a peak travel time, especially for flights going to the Philippines. As of now, your best option is to fly to Coron. There are no ferries to Coron at this time (well maybe this rinky dinky bath tub described here
    http://www.dutchpickle.com/philippines/coron/coron-to-manila-atienza.html)

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 19:52

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Thanks goon, coran looks fantastic, but my only concern is finding adequate accomadation for the right price.
    We had a nice house in Thailand yards from the beach for £300 for a month so about £10 per night, this was arranged on arrival as internet prices a lot more.
    Is it possible to get bungalow style accomadation with beach views for this sort of money and if not arte their similar beautiful areas that are cheaper, thanks Dave.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 23:16

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Coron is a rather craggy island. To get to the really nice beaches you have to hire a boat.
    The real attraction of Northern Palawan is island-hopping.

I do have another suggestion for you. For some reason, I got the feeling "Samar." It is not quite on tourist radar and I'm not sure if December is the best time to visit.

Look up "San Antonio Northern Samar. I came across a resort called "Haven of Fun"
    There might be other alternatives.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 08:40

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi all,
    looking for beach front accommadation with a budget of around £200 per week for a couple with their 2 children Ages 3&4.
    Not been to philippines before so just need a little help as been surfing the net for 3 days trying to find suitable places but could do with some help.
    Was thinkin mabe El Nido, Port Barton or possible Coran, or anywhere else that has a fantastic beach view.
    What we need is nice clean accomadation room enough for the four of us and a fridge would be good for the food and to keep the beer cold, a nice beach and outlook with safe swimming for the kids and some amenities fairly close by but nothing too busy or over loud on the doorstep.
    Any information on great destinations or rental possibiliets to roughly fit our criteria and some links if poss would be greatly appreciated.
    We have only got others feedback to go on, so offer away !
    Is it likely we could get a much better price if we source the accomadation when their, will be planning to come for a month about this time next year.
    Thanks in advance for your time, kind regards Dave.

#5 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 03:20

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi all,
    looking for beach front accommadation with a budget of around £200 per week for a couple with their 2 children Ages 3&4.
    Not been to philippines before so just need a little help as been surfing the net for 3 days trying to find suitable places but could do with some help.
    Was thinkin mabe El Nido, Port Barton or possible Coran, or anywhere else that has a fantastic beach view.
    What we need is nice clean accomadation room enough for the four of us and a fridge would be good for the food and to keep the beer cold, a nice beach and outlook with safe swimming for the kids and some amenities fairly close by but nothing too busy or over loud on the doorstep.
    Any information on great destinations or rental possibiliets to roughly fit our criteria and some links if poss would be greatly appreciated.
    Is it likely we could get a much better price if we source the accomadation when their, will be planning to come for a month about this time next year.

#6 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 03:26

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi all,
    Was thinkin mabe El Nido, Port Barton or possible Coran, or anywhere else that has a fantastic beach view, Do these destinationd have good swimming beaches and if so what are the good beaches to check out ?

#7 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 23:41

• chappo67

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi all,
    Was thinkin mabe El Nido, Port Barton or possible Coran, or anywhere else that has a fantastic beach view, Do these destinationd have good swimming beaches and if so what are the good beaches to check out ?

#8 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 23:43

• palawandave

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

yes, Coron is nice, but if you are thinking of the main island of Palawan i can advise you to look at El Nido and Port Barton. there are many cottages along the beach at both places and you should find something within your budget. Don't forget Philippines is more expensive than Thailand for eating and the food not quite as good, so allow for this in your budget. Both of these places you should be able to buy cheap fish and bbq them urself.
    I recently took a trip up to Baler and there are many GH accommodation along the beach. Baler is in Aurora province and that was where the helicopter scene was made in "apocolypse Now". The province is still 75% jungle and in Baler itself there are no fast food jounts, and for sure you could negotiate a good deal on accommodation. Unfortunately the beach is not white sand but brown sand, but for sure i will return there one day.

#9 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 16:07

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Hi Chappo 67....

I've been to both Kophangan and Palawan and theyare both fantastic places, amongst the favorites I've been to.Kophangan was much more to my liking than the very busy Ko Samui and Bangkok.

Anyways...

We flew from Manila (which I don't like) toBuswanga on Coron Island. Didn't get to experience much of Coron however as wewent to a beautiful resort a hour or so from there to a remote island by boat.....simply beautiful, but with the barest of luxury.

Coron is a divers (dream) town with many sunken coral caked sunken Japenese warships to view by diving and snorkling.I snorkled one Japanese ship near the resort and didn't want to leave the water....absolutley beautiful!!!

We then boated from Coron to El Nido which tookabout 6-8 hours......a bit of a rough ride for sure.

El Nido is absolutley beautiful, cheap for accomodation and food,however, VERY busy in December.

We couldn't find a place to rent in the town as everything was booked, so we settled on an ocean front place some 10-15 minutes out of town.....great score......more secluded and peaceful.

We stayed in a very basic bamboo native style cottage for $20 a night, no AC or hotwater though.

Every day we had a free (included) breakfast and then went on a private boat tour with two young Filipino kids for some fantastic, utterly beautiful island hopping.

They cooked us fresh fish (barbqued) rice, veggiesand fresh fruit mangoes,papya,pineapple etc.....fantastic, on a differentremote,unihabited island.The meal was awesome! We also snorkeled in some fantastic secluded lagoons with the most beautiful coral I've ever seen....fantastic!!!Crystal clear water, white sand,palm trees and beautiful scenery.

Get this....

We got our room, two free meals and a 6 hour boat tour daily for four days for an amazing $60 in total,per day!!!!

El Nido is (was) a romantic beautiful peacful areawith many ,many islands to tour and was great for a honeymoon....fantastic. I'msure you could find something to do with kids,however, it's more about nature ,the ocean/islands etc......and romance

A place to chill out,enjoy beach life and relax.......and take loads of pictures!

If you like snorkeling, white sand andcoral....nothing I seen in Thailand or anywhere matches it.Snorkeling the coralwas the highlight for me and something I'll never forget!

We were there there in Dec 2009 and you could see new development so the place is on the road to losing its laid back atmosphere,but should still be good.

Other than that....

We bused down the island to Porto Princessa and along the way stopped at the world famous "Underground river" inSabang....a seven kilometer underground river/cave....amazing!!! A must see if you go to Palawan.

Hope this helps.

#10 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 10:36

• Advertisement

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I love Palawan but as I am not a diver,tend to head to PP to chill out at Honda bay and Sabang near the underground river.Its a lot less crowded than Boracay or Koh Samui. The quality of the hotels are not as good as Thailand in the budget range but it really is 'The Last Frontier" no pollution,no garbage lying around,you are fined or made to do community service if you drop a matchstick in the street! White sand and crystal clear water abound.
    I have a pal coming over from UK next month and we will visit again. Promo flights after 10 Jan are running about £33 return from Manila
    Bear in mind that you will need a visa if you stay for more than 21 days,an extension to 59 days is available at Immigration on arrival but you may run into a problem with your carrier if your return date is later than 3 weeks without visa
    Enjoy

#11 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 10:47

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I loved Palawan. I didn't go to Coron - it's a bit of a hassle to get there, especially with kids. Also don't expect the quality of food you get in Thailand... and if you don't mind your food cold and your beer warm you'll love it :)

#12 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 11:27

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

AbdulVal,
    I dont know if Seair could be classed as a budget airline. I have always found a cheaper alternative even comparing their promos. Philippine Airlines(PAL) also,do you mean AirPhils?

#13 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 10:44

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

When we flew from Manila to Coron (Buswanga) it was with PAL and we bought our tickets through a travel agent in Makati, for what I thought was an OK price by North American standards.

When we were on the plane however, I found out that I paid nearly double than any Filipino on the plane. Nonetheless, for sure I was pissed! After that my wife (a Filipino) did all our ticket and shopping transactions.Not sure why they think we are all millionares, when in fact that's not the reality.

Anyways, once you commit to Coron, I'm not sure that you can fly to El Nido, without first going back to Manila, so that is why we took a very long boat ride over.

Furthermore,I can vaguely remember checking Seairs prices to El Nido and remmeber them as being very expensive.

#14 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 13:34

• shintai

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2011

I also love Palawan but never been to Coron or El Nido. I remember we went to Underground River - it was an awesome experience exploring the wonder of it hidden inside... though I think it's on a different area of Palawan

#15 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 20:34

• migsaquino

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

You can actually explore the major destinations in Palawan-- Puerto Princesa, Coron, and El Nido-- in one sweep. Try to google "Tao Expeditions."

I've been reading good reviews about their Palawan trips. Extraordinary, I must say!

#16 Posted: 18/7/2012 - 07:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.