Philippines forum

Travel to Mindanao?

• cisdeluca

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2011

Has anyone recently traveled to Mindanao and can you comment on the safety in the region for foreigners? Specifically Cagayan de Oro, Clarin and Plaridel?

Thanks for any insight!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2011 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

You should be ok in this part. The usual precautions should suffice. It is a big plus if you have local friends to guide you.

Large parts of Mindanao can be visited safely.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 12:15

• almostcool

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2010

the areas u mentioned are relatively safe.

#3 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 22:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I just talked to a Filipino friend about this the other day. He's from near Davao. He says it's not too bad, and pretty safe to travel. Violence is way down, and the warring parties are in discourse.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 10:17

• MSboodlefig-
    ht

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2011
    Location Philippines

Mindanao is a very large island which consists many big cities but the most famous and largest city is DAVAO CITY. It safe to travel Davao, when you're coming from MANILA, take an airplane -just 1 hours and 30 mins and poof! you are already in Davao. You can enjoy the white sand beaches, the nature, the fresh fruits such and many more. Cagayan de Oro is safe to travel as well as the other place mentioned above. If you are travelling alone it is better to book in an agency or hotels. Enjoy :-)

#5 Posted: 10/5/2011 - 13:26

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

hi cisdeluca -ive been to cdo several times since 2005 and many other areas in mindanao ,never had any problems ,we were there for approx 3 weeks in march/april ,if u have nay other questions -u can pm me .

#6 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 01:39

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hello there,

Thanks for sharing your valuable thought for travel to ire-land, Mindanao is the second-largest and the most famous southerly island, with a very different feel from the rest of the country. A variety of Muslim ethnic groups live here. In the southwestern tip of Mindanao is Zamboanga City, considered by some as the most romantic place in the Philippines and a favourite resort amongst tourists. The city is noted for its seashells, unspoiled tropical scenery and magnificent flowers.

Thanks in advance
    Rick Warren

#7 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 08:55

• Lei

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

I just want to share an update.

Davao City and Cagayan de Oro are indeed safe cities to travel to.

However, last December, a super typhoon has passed CDO and destroyed a lot of houses and establishments. Repairs are still currently under way so any donations or help that you can give when you visit, please do so. Thanks!

#8 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 00:05

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

It's okay to travel in Mindanao. I've been there a lot of times. I know that are some not good news about the place, but there are a lot more reasons why it's good to visit the place. I can give two examples which are also my favorites.

First is the tinuy-an falls at Surigao del Sur and they call it the Little Niagara of the Philippines because it's the widest falls in the country.

Second is the surfing capital of the Philippines in Surigao del Sur. I don't know how to surf but I love to watch people surfing. :)

Though there are many cities in Mindanao also, most of the places there are rural so I guess that's the reason why there are many natural wonders there.

Second

#9 Posted: 19/5/2012 - 07:52

• mythjen

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

There are plenty of places in Mindanao which are relatively safe, Cis. My advice for you to be in good hands, though: befriend the locals especially at the hotel or dorm you'll be staying who can tell you where or where not to go, don't go too far out at night, don't travel at night (period), and don't do too much shopping in public.

Good places to visit (which are safe, of course) include the cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Butuan, Digos, General Santos, Iligan, Pagadian, and inner Zamboanga City. Not to mention the famous destinations Siargao and Dakak.

Be safe, brotha.

#10 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 20:16

• Advertisement

• travelinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

You should evade places like Zamboangga, Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, Tawi Tawi, far southern part of Palawan, North Cotabato.

There are also a lot of interesting places on the Luzon and Visayas areas that are extremely safe.

#11 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 08:04

• threadstone

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2013

If your planning a trip to Mindanao, this are the best place for you to go.
    Cagayan de Oro City, Iligan, Bukidnon, Davao City, Siargao . Of course to be more safe, you must have with your tourist guide.

#12 Posted: 17/11/2013 - 03:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.