Cost Phillipinnes vs Thailand

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi all,
    Can anyone give me a rough guide to accommodation prices in Philipinnes against what I pay else where in Asia? In Thailand I normally pay around 300 B and in Cambodia $5 a night for fan room. Am I likely to find similar priced rooms?

Planning to go to Angles, Purto Gallero, Borcay, & Cebu.
    Any other advice is welcomed!
    Cheers,
    Mike

#1 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 01:34

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The cost of accommodation in the Philippines tends to be more expensive. The problem is that not that many backpackers go here so the market hasn't responded to the demand for affordable accommodation.

You can expect to pay anywhere from 500 pesos to 900 pesos for a room. The more highly touristed spots like Cebu City, Manila, and Banaue have backpacker type accommodations that cost from about 250-350 pesos.

I would skip Boracay, unless you are looking for a party place. 20-30 years ago it was a great place but has since lost its idyllic charm.

Puerto Galera is nice and a popular destination for people from Metro-Manila because of its proximity.

Angeles City is a food destination and the jumping off point for Pinatubo treks. I don't know if the Holy Angels University still has a boat tour of the Pampanga river delta (best if you are a birder).

What kind of destination are you looking for? And when do you plan to go to the Philippines?

#2 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 10:33

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi Goonistik,
    Thanks for the reply.
    What kind of destination am I looking for? Good question!!
    Typically, my girlfriend & I spend 5-6 months each year in Asia.
    We used to spend most of our time in Thailand but the rise in the Baht changed that.
    For the past few years we've used Cambodia as a base.
    Our intention is to check out Phiilppines to see if it could provide a long term base.
    We planned a short vist this year (21 days of the visa) but the late Easter (when I told don't even think about traveling then!) means we are trying to get there before the weather changes. If we go it will be early May.
    We don't want party places but we don't want tumbleweed blowing down the main street either!

#3 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 04:03

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Yeah...Holy Week is not the time to travel around the Philippines. Everybody goes out of Manila, room prices go up, traffic going out of Manila is horrid. My family and I actually like staying at home since Manila becomes really quiet and peaceful and there is no traffic.

The more developed destinations would be Cebu, Iloilo, Davao, and Bohol. Camarines Sur is being promoted heavily by their Governor. Palawan has its attractions.

Than there are the other places like Siquijor, Quezon, Romblon, Samar, Bukidnon, Pagudpud.

#4 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 09:37

• fi0na

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Hi! I also suggest Palawan -- Coron, Puerto Princesa and El Nido. There are really cheap rooms there. If you love beaches, Palawan is the best place in the Philippines, IMHO.

#5 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 00:08

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

I second the idea of Palawan 100%.

It's the best place I've ever been to in the Phils.

And if you are a diver/snorkeler......

Coron has fantastic diving of coral caked sunken Japanese warships and and 6-8 hour boat ride to El Nido brings you to the most fantastic white sand beaches with swawing palm trees and beautuful lagoons for unbelievable snorkeling...coral coral coral and fish everywhere pure beauty that I'v never seen anywhere else.

Palawan is one of the last un commercialized islands left on the Philippines.

Happy travels.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 19:20

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I agree that the hotels are more expensive in the Philippines. Even when you have a hotel in Thailand and in the P.I. that are the same price the hotel in the Philippines will be a crappier for the same money. I find the beer cheaper in the Philippines, bars have frequent "happy hours" if that is a consolation.

#7 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 02:30

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Agree with others that the cost of comparable accommodation is considerably more in the Philippines. However on the + side English is much more widely spoken and unlike Thailand foreigners are treated with respect.

#8 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 16:08

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

I would suggest visiting Dumaguete City near the Cebu Island. It could be used as base for going to different islands, food is relatively cheap because it's a university town and you can have a monthly rate in some hotels for roughly 500$. It's a safe and laid back town.

#9 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 03:35

• millionario

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2004
    Total reviews: 15

You can travel in Philippines on a budget, don't expect the same level of comfort than Vietnam or Thailand for example. I would suggest "out of the beaten track" places which are often less expensive. Ex: Romblon province, Negros, south of Cebu, Catanduanes, Samar...

#10 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 02:54

• Advertisement

• Nomadcitizen

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

I agree about Puerto galera being a good place to go, not too far from Manila, good place to dive or just spend time on the beach, good resto and decent level of accomodation. On your way to Puerto galera, you can make a stop at Tagaytay to see the volcano.

You can go to the North of Luzon in the Cordilleras, you have places like Banaue, Sagada that are really mindblowing (you just need to plan in advance and consider the time travel).

Mount Pulag in the Cordileras is a good place to hike (second highest mountain in The Philippines).

I found One Hundreds island good (not too far of Baggio), you can enjoy a day trip and swim in this natural park (I was afraid it will be too touristic but it was fine actually, not crowded at all ...).

#11 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 05:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Friend of mine told me Makati City in metro Manila is suppose to have a pretty good dance scene in the PI.

#12 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 05:45

• shambles

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Slighty of topic, Madmac are you like a real life version of the granddad from modern family?

#13 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 21:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I've never seen "Modern Family" so I don't know. I don't watch much TV.

#14 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 21:39

• elizabethno-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011
    Location United States

I totally LOVED the Philippines when I traveled there last year. I live in Thailand and remember the it being much more reasonable for things like food and drinks in the more popular areas and we found some really great bungalows for cheap in Boracay, much nicer than I have stayed in in Thailand and about the same price. Thailand is beautiful but the beaches and people in Palawan and other islands were BY FAR better than any place I have been to here in the land of smiles. I really recommend Palawan and wrote a blog post about it here.. check it out for some specific recommendations and I hope you like the Philippines as much as I did! Cheers!

One Day I'll Fly Away

#15 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 22:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indonesia cost vs Thailand cost? ... By steffanmathias on 3 Dec 2008 2 9119 4 Dec 2008