Philippines forum

Where to go to experience local food and sights

• Magen

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2011

Hi my name is Magen and I am arriving here tomorrow afternoon and I want to know what are the must have local foods found in phillipines other than balut. And also what can I do to truly see how the locals live? Will appreciate some good advice! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 16:50

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Magen,

When Anthony Bourdain did an episode of "No Reservations" in the Philippines, he was brought to the Pampanga. Specifically, they had Claude Tayag of "Bale Dutung" cook for him and show him around town. If you look it up in youtube, you can see the episode. Google "Bale dutung"

Than Bourdain went to Cebu for some lechon. Bourdain eventually decided that lechon cebu was his favorite roast pig. Better than the babi guling of Bali and the lechon of Puerto Rico.
    There are stores that sell lechon cebu in Manila, so you don't have to make a trip for that.

Things to try out
    Sisig (One of the best things you can eat with a cold beer)
    Lechon
    Spaghetti with Taba ng talangka (not a traditional dish but a recent invention) It is spaghetti cooked with a sauce made from the fat of little crabs.
    Sinigang (food in a sour tamarind or guava broth, can be made with pork, fish etc)
    Adobo (Abe restaurant has a lamb adobo. A welcome addition to the usual pork/chicken adobo)
    Okoy (shrimp fritters)
    Daing na bangus
    Rellenong bangus
    Dinuguan (pork stew made with coagulated pork blood)
    Ensaimada (the best one is at Pastelleria Mallorca)
    Sans Rival (a daqcuoise based on cashew nuts and buttercream)
    Halayang Ube (ube is a purple yam usually used for desserts. The best kind is made with carabao milk)

If you are really adventurous, there is balo-balo. Fermented Shrimp eaten with mustard leaves, grilled catfish, eggplant.

To help you understand some more about the food read this
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/philippines/14747_essays-on-philippine-food

There are weekend markets in Makati, Quezon City, and Alabang where you can try out all sorts of food.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 22:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Magen
    Ask yourself, if you were visiting your home country as a tourist, how would you go about seeing how the "locals" truly live? You can wander around their neighborhoods, but to understand how people really live their lives, you have to take the time to get to know them and develop friendships that allow you access to peoples lives. That takes time, so it depends on how much time you have.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 22:50

• francis5k

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2011

though this is too late,i would like to add that wherever you go,every place in the Philippines bursts of local color.every corner is infused with customs,culture,and tradition.food?streetfoods are the best!

#4 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 20:02

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hello everybody,

Thank you for sharing your valuable suggestion, The tour explored some of the nooks and crannies that I would have otherwise never know were there. As a two year Seattle resident, I found it a great orientation to Capital history and offerings. The food was good, the sites visited interesting and the tour guide was very knowledgeable, personable and charming. In all the overall experience was very nice - strongly recommend to visitors and residents alike.

Nice to meet you
    Rick Warren

#5 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 06:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sihanoukville - Beach Bars/Local Food ... By liskaw123 on 10 May 2013 4 1336 8 Aug 2013
Local markets / food in Luang Prabang? ... By travellingtwo on 3 Sep 2008 4 2619 10 Sep 2008
Best place for beach bars&local food-KhaoLak/KoLanta/AoNang? ... By liskaw123 on 10 May 2013 13 2810 14 May 2013
Nice hotel for honeymoon with a small child at a beach with good local food ... By ambii on 10 Mar 2011 1 2066 11 Mar 2011