manila - banaue (or other village)
    banaue
    banaue
    banaue
    banaue - to manila
    manila to ? (other country

- is this route oke?
    - i will be in donsol at the end of januari is there a good change to
    - see the whale sharks? I reed a lot of different thins about that.
    - i dont like a night bus. Can i get pretty easy form banaue to manila
    in one day? What would a nice place be to maka a stop between those
    two places?

Hope you can help me! Thanks!

Regards Floor

#1 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 18:39

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Floor,

The only way to get to Banaue is by bus. It is about a 9 hour bus trip. I suggest you take it at night and sleep on the bus. If you ask most Filipinos, they prefer Sagada to Banaue. I suggest you spend a day at Banaue and than go to Sagada. I think Florida Bus line does Manila-Banaue. The other option is Autobus. AFAIK, Manila-Banaue bus schedules are all night trips. Typically you leave at around 9PM or 10PM and arrive at around 7AM.

To get back to Manila from Sagada, you have to options. You can go Sagada-Bontoc-Manila. Bontoc is about 40-minutes away from Sagada. You take a jeepney to get there Bontoc-Manila is about 11-13 hours. You can also do Sagada-Baguio-Manila. Personally, I would prefer to go Sagada-Baguio. (about 6 hours). Than break my trip at Baguio to rest. Baguio-Manila is about 7 hours.

You don't mention how you plan to get to Donsol. By bus/train that will be about 11-12 hours. If you plan to go donsol-Manila-Banaue by land, you will be spending a long time on the bus. Sounds too exhausting for me.

The whale shark can be seen all year around. But anytime from November to May is good. With February being the best month.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 14:50

• floor_78

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2011

Hi Goonistik,
    thnkx for your repley! So i guess that in sagada there are also rice terraces? I will look that up.

I dont really have the time for donsol so i take a flight to and from legazpi, much quicker ;-) But it must be sooo amazing to see the sharks! Thats why i go for just one day.

Do you know if i have to make a reservation or can i arrange a trip in the afternoon a day before?

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 14:31

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The rice terraces are most dramatic at Banaue and the surrounding area, which is why you can spend a day or two in Banaue.

See the terraces in the morning. Go back to Banaue and visit the museum.
    Sagada has rice terraces but they are much smaller. What Sagada offers is this relaxed peaceful vibe.

I am not sure which trip you are asking about. If you are asking about flight reservations, it is best to book ahead of time to get the lowest fare. If you are asking about the bus to Banaue, I went to the bus station about an hour early and bought a ticket.

#4 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 12:03

• floor_78

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2011

@Goonistik thanks again

i'm afraid i dont mean either of those trips ;-) Sorry! I meant the trip with the whale sharks in Donsol. Can i book that a day ahead or do i have to make a reservation a few weeks before?

#5 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 15:11

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Check this out. To my best knowledge, there is no need to reserve for the whale sharks. You probably need to reserve lodging.

http://tourism.albay.gov.ph/whale_sharks.html

BTW, there is also a firefly tour at night.

When you take the bus to Banaue, be sure to drink some anti-motion sickness meds like meclizine (bonamine). I don't usually get carsick but the bus passes through Dalton pass and there are a lot of zigzags.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 21:44

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I recently read that only Ohayami Trans Bus is plying the route to Banaue. Florida Bus has suspended its bus service (dispute between bus companies) but check when you get to Manila. I have read many good reviews for Florida.

You can visit some viewpoints near Banaue to see rice terraces but if you want the full experience travel to nearby Batad. I hope to do this one day.

The banca (boat) ride between El Nido and Port Barton is highly recommended but try to share the cost with other travellers (which should not be difficult being high season).

Suggest 1 day tour to the underground river at Sabang when in Puerto Princesa.

#7 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 04:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.