Philippines forum

Winter Vacation!!!

• Goodmango

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Hey travelfishers! I have really enjoyed this website and forum since I discovered it a couple days ago. I hope someone can help!

So here it is:

I start teaching in Busan SK in a week! We the have 9 days off starting december 24. My gf and I want to take a one week vacation somewhere hot with nice beaches and great food! We're thinking Thailand or Philipines....
    So, keeping in mind we only have a week where would you recommends we go? I just read Cebu and Palawan are great, but want to know if there is anywhere else closer to mamilla that would be as good???
    I want to keep transportation time to a minimum.
    Thanks guys and girls! Any other tips would also be very welcome!!!

#1 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Hmmm....somewhere close to Manila with beaches and great food. Nothing comes to mind right now.

There are direct flights from Busan to Cebu so that is your best bet. Besides, Anthony Bourdain rates it number one for roast pork (Lechon Cebu).
    http://blog.travelchannel.com/anthony-bourdain/read/hierarchy-of-pork/

You can stay at Mactan Island if you don't want to travel any further. But these are probably the priciest.

But if you are willing to travel out of the city, look up Bantayan island. It takes about 3-4 hours to get there by land/ferry. I am not sure if there are flights to the island (25 minutes).

#2 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 21:25

• backpacker21

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2011

I agree with goonistik! You may take a direct flight from Busan to Cebu. And from there you can take a side trip to Bohol, stay at Panglao Island even if it's just for a night given your tight schedule.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 06:39

• Goodmango

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Thanks for the replies and good info!
    Is Christmas a very busy and expensive time in Philipines? Should I book everything in advance? Any recomendations for places to stay under $50 CAD/night in Cebu and the other places that were recommended?

#4 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 08:51

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

There are also direct flights from Korea to Kalibo,the nearest international airport to Boracay.
    However you may be struggling to find a place on the island during Christmas time and indeed you may feel that you are still in Korea as Boracay resembles a sandy part of Seoul with signage in Korean and kimchi available everywhere....perhaps Cebu would be a better option and you will actually feel that you are on holiday from your host country

#5 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 10:11

• Goodmango

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Haha interesting. A much hitter armed version of sandy Seoul I'd hope.... I can expect decent weather and a swim able ocean anywhere in the Philipines correct?

#6 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 11:49

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

December is peak season due to Christmas. Filipinos come home to sepnd the holidays with family, "snow birds" run to the Philippines to escape winter. Flights are fully booked, prices for accommodation goes up.

Ordinarily, December is one of the best months to visit the Philippines as the weather becomes cooler with clear skies. But this year has been wetter than usual due to the effects of La NiƱa. So you can probably expect sunny days to be interspersed with cloudy days.

Yes..you can swim in lots of places.

#7 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 18:41

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

@goonistik Flights are fully booked ? im sure if i visit any of the airline websites now i could book a flight -u wont get any promo fares , @good mango -if u want to pm me i can give u some contacts in cebu /bohol -places to stay etc .

#8 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 05:17

• peekel

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

I agree with AbdulVal, Batangas and Puerto Galera are about 2 hours from Manila by bus. I suggest you guys can check out Dumaguete as well. The Apo reef is a great diving site and the place has a number of virgin white beaches. Dumaguete has a large community of foreigners as well. You can check out http://www.dumagueteoutdoors.com/, Angelo the owner is a great fun guy. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out. Enjoy and have a safe trip wherever you decide to go!

#9 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 07:00

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

You wont get to Puerto Galera from Manila in 2 hours.It takes almost 2 hours to get there from Batangas pier.Even with the recently completed expressway,2 hours from Manila to Batangas is a little on the optimistic side during the festive season.PG is full of Koreans who patronise the many Korean owned resorts and nightspots in and around Sabang. The OP is working in Korea so perhaps this venue would be inappropriate if a change of scenery is the intention.
    I agree that Dumaguete may be a good option and certainly a good jumping off point for Siquijor and the beaches around San Juan

#10 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 10:23

• Advertisement

• Lei

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Hi goodmango!

Any updates on where you finally went to? :)

#11 Posted: 20/4/2012 - 04:35

• travelinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Somewhere close to Manila would be Ilocos Norte (Vigan), You can also fly down to Naga and visit Cam Sur (Caramoan Islands specifically - it is very lovely there), of course there's Cebu, Palawan, Boracay and such.

#12 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 09:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.