Philippines forum

2-3 wks in Philippines - Jan or Mar?

• Beckyh

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2012

Hi everyone
    We're looking to go to the Philippines for our honeymoon next year. We're not going directly after the wedding so flexible on dates - either late Jan or early March (so to avoid CNY). Is there any better time to go?
    We're starting off in Manila, visiting the Taal volcano then onto Bohol, Siquijor and Dauin. We might do a stopover in HK as neither of us have been there but not sure whether we're packing too much in (trip is likely to be about 2.5wks in total) or whether there is anywhere that we really should go that is currently not in the plan.
    Thanks in advance for any advice :)

#1 Posted: 17/4/2012 - 13:05

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Hi!

January is preferable as March gets hot. Though March has the advantage of being the start of the mango season. The fruits begin to peak at March and are at their best in April.

If you want to visit Taal, I recommend you go to the lake and take a boat to the volcano instead of just viewing it from Tagaytay. If all you plan to do is go to Tagaytay to view the volcano, I recommend you skip it and spend that day somewhere else.

For the time you plan to spend, I think your plan is fine. I am not familiar with Dauin but Siquijor and Bohol should be great. The region also has ferries that allow to travel to another island in case you change your plans.

HK can be done is 3-4 days, if you decide to visit it.

#2 Posted: 17/4/2012 - 21:11

• Beckyh

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2012

Thanks very much for your help, really excited about the trip! :)

#3 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 06:55

• Lei

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Hi Becky,

I agree that it would be better to go Jan/Feb than March. Unless you want hot weather. :)

Since you're planning to go to Bohol, why not visit Cebu too? From Bohol, you can take a ferry going to Cebu. That way you'll get to visit more. But I guess it depends on what kind of activities you want to do.

Have fun! :)

#4 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 00:00

• tipsygoon

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2012

Hey! Since you only have 2,5 weeks I would not plan too many different destinations. Everything takes pretty long on the Philippines, especially bus rides. Roads are bad and busses stop plenty of times. Dauin is nice, especially if you are divers. You really should go to Apo Island then too. The diving or even snorkeling is amazing there. If you go to Bohol, especially Alona beach on Panglao Island is very crowded in January. If you want have a quiet time I would not go there. Sipalay on Negros is a beautiful quiet place, even in the high season. There is good diving too. I was travelling the Philippines for a couple of months and almost got all my infos from this website. It was of great help for me: www.travellingthephilippines.com
    Enjoy your honeymoon!

Cheers

#5 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 09:13

• Beckyh

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2012

Thanks all for your help - much appreciated :)

#6 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 16:19

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

For honeymoon, I think Boracay would be a great choice. But there are many tourists who visit the place. Many people say that the beaches in the island of Palawan can compete with Boracay. And it's more peaceful there as it is not as populated as Boracay. So I guess it's also a good choice for honeymoon.

#7 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 06:28

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I loved Palawan, Boracay was nice but more touristy. I spent a week on Siguijor. But tipsygoon is right, moving around too much is not a good idea.

#8 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 08:22

• mythjen

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Becky, very good choice of holiday dates. Late November to end of February is tourist season but by January, depending on which neighboring Asian country they come from, the arrivals slow down to a trickle. Wished you could go far north up to the summer capital Baguio in March, as it is hot elsewhere.

When you're in Bohol (I guess Panglao would be your beach destination there after going through all the sights), try to visit scenic Camiguin island which is just a short fast ferry trip away. You'll love it.

By the way, congratulations!

#9 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 20:00

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

honeymoon in the Philippines sounds great!

I think you check the travelfish pages for accomondation already
    -where do you come from, how old are you, like what?
    5 star luxus hotels or no star appartment
    for honeymoon can't take fan room!
    think about it...and
    check the travelfish pages or buy a lonely planet,
    rough guide, or else for shure information.

#10 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

-where do you come from, how old are you, like what? -why is that important for you?

#11 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 12:25

• touristdriv-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

You can still do a day tour of Tagaytay whenever your in manila... an overnight would be a waste of time. Trek to the crater is far more better.

#12 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 20:23

• WorldTrev

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012
    Location Philippines

For me i preferred Boracay in the month of January, yea you should come last week of January or early February, coz that's still windy, nice weather :)

#13 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 07:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.