Philippines forum

1 week in Philippines July, where would you go?

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi,

I have a week in Philippines early July, fly in to Manila then want to go to an island for some R&R, question is best place to go?

Then fly to Hanoi, spend a few days there and a few in Halong Bay touring the islands on a junk? Thoughts ideas would be great, thanks.

#1 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 21:33

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

TonyM,

Could you be more specific for what you are looking for? Are you looking for something off the beaten path or party town, budget, etc.

Offhand some possibilities are Bantayan Island, Cebu. Isla Naburot, Iloilo (private island and pricey). Bohol would be a safe bet. For unspoiled nature, it would be Northern Palawan like Busuanga.

There was this recent post about Catanduanes that piqued my interest.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kip-patrick/surfers-paradise-for-nons_b_1565578.html
    I am not sure what the weather will be like at Catanduanes because it is smack right in the typhoon belt and exposed to the Pacific.
    Boracay if you want to party.

#2 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 06:46

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Thanks for your reply goonistik, some good locations there I'm sure, not sure about what I'm looking for hence the vague outline, I can go budget or pricey at least for the first week of my 2 month adventure throughout SEA. Probably looking for mid range location, one that offers markets, beaches, touring and nightlife.

#3 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 04:15

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I thinm you should head away from the typhoon belt. So somewhere in the Central Visayas would be good or Palawan.

I think you should take a look at the following options (in no particular order):

Bantayan Island
    Iloilo
    Bacolod
    Siquijor (bit sleepier than the Iloilo and Bacolod)
    Bohol

Cebu City, there are ferries to the other islands so if Cebu doesn't work out for you, you can easily move to anotehr island like Panay or Bohol.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 07:13

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Goonistik thanks for the advice, yep had Cebu and Bohol in mind but now with the other places you've suggested I need more advice.

Place that would really appeal to me is a place small enough to explore on a motorbike, markets, mid range accomodation, town nearby offering great food and bars, snorkeling and boat rips to nearby islands, doesn't everyone!

Which of the local tins you've suggested would be the best?

Thanks in advance.

#5 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 07:46

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The best bets for all the things you want are Cebu and Bohol.

You will need to do some research on the snorkeling sites as I am not familiar.

#6 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 00:38

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Ok thanks again goonistik for the suggestion.

#7 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 03:39

• gidygids

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2012

Hi,

If you wish to be in a small charming place you can go around in motor bike I would suggest the following.

1. Siguijor island of Dumaguete
    2. The little known island municipality of Culion in Palawan
    3. If your up for the adventure Batanes is perfect.
    4. Camiguin is also a small island with good beaches, waterfalls, hot springs you could visit.
    5. Of course Bohol, Puerto Princesa should be on your radar as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

#8 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 22:16

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Batanes is in the typhoon belt and July is an active month for typhoons. There is some risk of being stranded until flights can resume. I love Batanes but I hate the food there. Flights are expensive too. There is also no nightlife there unless a karaoke machine is nightlife for you.

The OP was looking for other things like food, nightlife, etc..

#9 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 23:04

• traveloworld

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi,
    If you go Philippines and not visit manila than your travel is not adventures. manila is best travel destination in Philippines.

#10 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 04:24

• Advertisement

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi people, thanks for all your tips, so many choices, I suppose that's half the fun hey!

#11 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 05:44

• touristdriv-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

@traveloworld, Manila should be visited to know what's the capital like in Philippines but i don't think it is the best destination in Philippines... IMO.

Best places in random... Boracay, Bohol, El nido, Syquijor, Mountain province, Malapascua, and dozens more.

#12 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 22:26

• jngomez085

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2012

hi, I suggest Boracay if you want some beach parties. Bohol also and palawan. I'd been there and its so cool :P

#13 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 20:22

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Yeah thanks jngomez085, I was in Boracay April this year so looking for somewhere else, seems Cebu is the place to hang for a few days then over to Bohol, anything of particular interest I should check out?

#14 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 20:38

• migsaquino

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

Two words-- EL NIDO.

Trust me, you'll never wanna go back home. Ever. :)

#15 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 08:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Philippines with children for 1 week ... By aaronpryce on 6 Jan 2013 4 1270 8 Jan 2013
2 week trip end of july or 1st week aug. Will ramadan affect? ... By redurn on 5 Jul 2012 0 1236 5 Jul 2012
July and August in the Philippines? ... By edwuppy on 3 Feb 2010 30 34302 12 Sep 2012