Philippines forum

6- wk Itinerary in Philippines

• oshi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2012

I am backpacking for 6 months in SE Asia, and am interested in spending a total of 6 weeks in Philippines.
    I am thinking about spending 3 weeks in Palawan/Coron/El Nido, and the next 3 weeks in Cebu/Bohol/Malapascua.

I love outdoors, particularly scuba diving and anything to do with the ocean and water :-)
    I am not too interested in city/night life. I am looking forward to spending relaxed, low-key time and meeting locals and other travelers.

I am wondering if 3 weeks in those areas are sufficient, or too much/little?
    Do you have suggestions as to how much more time I should spend at one place over another?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#1 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 14:48

• Advertisement

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Other places to check from Scuba diving is Liquid Dumaguete, I am staying there in Jan for two weeks, they have Facebook and websites and Puerto Galera, I have read about very good diving there as well.

Regards John

#2 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 21:29

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Depending on the time of the year, you can go to Tubbataha reef, which a marine sanctuary. The dive season there is limited to March-June. It will be pricey.

#3 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 03:26

• adelle

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2012

hey oshi! first of all, nice choice of destinations, coron and malapascua have really great dive sites. six weeks should be enough for your trip though i won't rule out making it a couple of months instead. there's so much to do in these islands.

you might find this article helpful: http://www.philippinetraveler.com/best-dive-sites-in-the-philippines.html

#4 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 06:54

• oshi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2012

Thank you everybody for your feedback!
    John, Liquid looks pretty amazing. I didn't have plans to visit that area of Philipines but I may have to make an extra stop ;-)
    I plan to be there in Jan as well so perhaps we may cross paths!

#5 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 09:09

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Hey Oshi,
    Zoe at Liquid has been very helpful. I have been following them on Facebook for quite a while. I haven't been diving for long and when we planned to return to the Philippines my Partner suggested we go somewhere I could go diving. Liquid seemed a great place, really well priced and near Apo Island, which is pretty famous for its diving. Anyway, I think it would be pretty easy for you to cross from Dumaguete to Cebu and then over to Bohol and Malapascua.

We are arriving in Manila on the 24th Dec and staying there for Family stuff and a wedding till we go to Dumaguete on the 31st. We are staying at Liquid till the 13th Jan, then not sure what we will do after that. I was keen to get over to a place called Anda in Bohol, check that out and use it as a base to check out some of Bohol. We have to get a flight to Bangkok on the 23rd Jan as we are doing a train trip from there to Singapore via Panang and KL for 6 days, (thats the plan at this stage) then flight home to Sydney on the 30th January.

I haven't been to Palawan yet, and the places you mentioned will be great. Another place to check out, and a place I have wanted to get to for a number of years now is Port Barton, just south of San Vincete. I know people who have been there and say it is very beautiful. I don't think there is diving there, just a small remote place I am told.

Anyway keep in touch and maybe we will catch up in RP

John

#6 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 16:39

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Coron and El Nido are both good choices (I'm posting from El Nido now - no international ATM here though so make sure you have enough cash if you want to be here a week or two)

#7 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 08:12

• oshi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2012

adelle, thank you for the link! that is helpful~! It's comforting to know that I have selected most of the "top" diving sites in Philippines :)

John, thank you so much for your helpful info. I have contacted Zoe and I think I'll make Liquid my first stop in Philippines! I am thinking of flying in on Jan 11 so it'll be very likely that I will see you :) When my flight and hotel are confirmed, I'll PM you so that we can definitely link up at Liquid! Thank you so much for letting me know about this place - I'll buy you a drink while sit in front of a beach view :-D

Enigmatic, thanks for the tip on El Nido! Do you think that a week in El Nido is sufficient?

#8 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 09:36

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

That will be cool. Sure we can site around with a beer and maybe do some diving together. My Partner Geraldine doesn't dive, she is happy to hang out, go shopping and sight seeing. She worked in Dumaguete for a few years as a Med Sales rep. I am looking forward to spending time with Zoe and the gang. My main aim is to kick back on this holiday and try to de stress the last 4 years, so its just gunna be take it as it comes.

If you need any help with anything Oshi, Geraldine knows a few Travel agents in the Philippines or could point you in the right direction. Have you been to the Philippines before? I love it and one day hope we have property there, its a question of were we would want to be I think. Anyway, that's a bit in the future.

Keep in touch, Hope things go the way you want.

John

#9 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 22:18

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Weather is pretty changeable anyway - flights and boats get cancelled so don't fine tune your schedule and make sure you end up back in Manila or the surrounding area a couple of days before you fly out of the country

A week is certainly enough time to see El Nido and the surrounding areas but it's not a bad place to hang around for longer

#10 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 04:09

• Advertisement

• tipsygoon

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2012

Hey! I would at least spend 3 weeks in Palawan. Otherwise it`s not worth it. If you love diving I would recommend Negros Island as well. You can stay in Dumaguete and do awesome diving day trips in the whole area. Especially Apo Island is definitely one of my favourite place to dive. Check out this website. www.travellingthephilippines.com They give great info for many places on the Philippines, also good pics. Enjoy your trip.

#11 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 06:28

• yengputz

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2012

Hi, you can look at this site http://gohotels.ph/.
    Its a budget hotel were you can stay. Very budget friendly for a travelers like us.

Cheers
    YEng

#12 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 22:45

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Hey Oshi, how are you plans going. I am leaving Sydney 24th Dec, I will arrive at Liquid on the 31st and be there till the 14th Jan. Not sure what we are doing after that, I may try to go to Palawan if its possible. We have to be in Bangkok on the 21st - 22nd Jan, to do the train trip to Singapore. See you at Zoe's hopefully.

Regards John.

#13 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 04:38

• oshi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2012

Hi John! Thanks for checking in :)
    I sent you a PM a while ago but I guess you never received it. I am pretty much all set for the Philippines. I am arriving at Liquid on Jan 11th and plan to stay for 10 days, then meeting a friend in Bohol who will travel with me for 2 weeks. Then I'm back to my solo tour of Palawan for a couple of weeks.

We will definitely have a few days together at Liquid! Looking forward to meeting you and your partner :)

#14 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 08:55

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Hey Oshi, very good. I didn't get your PM, but I didn't realise you had to make PM available. Anyway, its all good. I am probably not as organised as you, at Liquid till the 14th, then the rest is just a plan in my head, I hope the wife and kids can handle this. I think the best times are had on a wing and a prayer, so to speak. We have things that will happen, a fare home from Singapore on the 30th Jan, between Liquid and there is still a Mystical Journey as U2 would say. I am/we are 10 days from departure and now I am feeling so good about it all. Its been nearly 4 years since I last went on a trip away from my stupid life, and will enjoy going back to the provinces. Reality check time. Enjoyment I think.
    See you soon mate.

#15 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 02:10

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Well just to let all you people know, we had an awesome time at Liquid Dumaguete. The people here will look after everything you need.

My partner Geraldine didn't dive before Liquid, but Adam one of the dive instructors coaxed her into the water and now is certified OW. Nice

We met up with OSHI and had a great time with a very wonderful person and even managed 3 dives at Apo Island with here. I can say I am envious of Oshi's 6 month travel plans.

I was so lucky to have found Liquid, and to meet so many wonderful people there that have become great friends.

If your thinking diving at Apo, get on contact with Tim and Zoe at Liquid, you will have the best time.

Have a great trip Oshi, hope to see you kn Oz.[url=]click here[/url]

#16 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 05:14

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

Well just to let all you people know, we had an awesome time at Liquid Dumaguete. The people here will look after everything you need.

My partner Geraldine didn't dive before Liquid, but Adam one of the dive instructors coaxed her into the water and now is certified OW. Nice

We met up with OSHI and had a great time with a very wonderful person and even managed 3 dives at Apo Island with here. I can say I am envious of Oshi's 6 month travel plans.

I was so lucky to have found Liquid, and to meet so many wonderful people there that have become great friends.

If your thinking diving at Apo, get on contact with Tim and Zoe at Liquid, you will have the best time.

#17 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 05:17

• Gerohn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012
    Location Australia

#18 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 05:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.