Philippines forum

Cebu city or Mactan Island

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Cebu is where I begin my trip, question is where to stay, never been there, Cebu City or Mactan Island, looking to be close to the action of med city but not the hassle of large crowd and bustling streets and noise. Accom would be guesthouse somewhere, looking for the best of both worlds, beach and city, where would you stay?

#1 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• xyle

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

i suggest Mactan Island. Lots of shops and restaurants and very near the beach. You can check out Cordova Homes in Cordova. It's a nice place with cheap accommodations.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 08:26

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Brilliant thanks xyle, do you know the distance between there and Cebu City, hard to tell using Google Earth, could it be a short cab ride?

#3 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 16:13

• xyle

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

approximately 30-45mins depending on the traffic situation.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 09:24

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

For me, Mactan is the better choice... Cebu City is crowded and polluted while Mactan is quieter, more peaceful and has fresher air. There are also lots of nice beach resorts, seafood restaurants and tourist spots Mactan.

#5 Posted: 4/3/2013 - 07:01

• bargeconnec-
    tion

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2011

Mactan Island is better as it gives one a country-side living experience. There are a lot of hotels in the area and Plantation Bay as well as Imperial Palace are my favorites. If you're looking for a cheaper stay, Ace Pension across Gaisano Mall Mactan and is just 5 minutes ride from the airport through the cab (fare is 7 Php). Just ask where the multi-cabs are and you will be guided to those in front of international departure area.

#6 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 18:10

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines

When will you visit Cebu? The airport is in Mactan, and Cebu City is quite a long way from there. Unless you want to visit the other coastlines (e.g. Malapascua), then I suggest Mactan.

#7 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 09:58

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

Well for me Cebu city...

#8 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 09:49

• MercyB

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hi!

I would also suggest Mactan. So many resorts nearby and less crowded than Cebu. May I know how long you plan to stay? Because there are cheaper accommodation options for longer stays. I would suggest to rent a room/ apartment in the city as opposed to hotel. This way you have the place to yourself and a kitchen for your own use. Much cheaper and you will definitely a more local way of life.

Mercee

#9 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 02:50

• ricodoronila

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hey everyone! I'm also travelling to the Philippines and I've heard a lot about Cebu City. Problem is, this isn't for leisure, well, sort of. Hahaha. My company is moving me there for a couple of months and I gotta look for a place to stay in. Either way, I won't go there till June or July. How's the weather at that time?

I was born and raised in the US, but I'm have Filipino on my mom side, and my Dad's Spanish. So, I'm excited to see the land that my mother calls home. She's in Bacolod now, and I plan to visit her when I have the time. :)

#10 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• JuanArambulo

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hey Rico!

Cebu City is great! Food's good! The people there are great! Lots of places to get around to. And you're pretty much close to a lot of world class resorts. So though your trip is more about leisure it could easily turn to pleasure!

#11 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 20:11

• MercyB

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hi Rico! June/July is the start of the rainy season in the Philippines. But in the islands and in the Visayas, it can still be pretty sunny. The beaches will still be perfect during that time. You mentioned you'll be staying in Cebu for a couple of months? I have some relatives there and maybe they can help you out in terms of looking for a place for a long stay. Would you know which part of Cebu you'll be based? And how big is the accommodation you need? Best to search property portals just so you have an idea of the area and the details of the house/ room you need. We have several here in the Philippines, like sulit, ayosdito etc. Might wanna check them out. I'll research on some for you too!

Mercy B

#12 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 18:15

• ricodoronila

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hey Thanks Merc I visited Those site's that you mentioned. Sulit is OLX? Is it one and the same? Anyway, thanks. I've found a property but if you can suggest one, that'd be awesome.

Great insights, Juan. Thanks for the tip!

I hope it doesn't rain much during my stay. :) But yeah, whenever something comes up, hope you guys could give me a tour. :)

Thanks!

#13 Posted: 29/3/2014 - 05:01

• davidurmann

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 14

I think it would depend what you are looking for. Cebu is a nice city with lots of malls and restaurants. My favorite destination is Bohol which is also easy to access from Cebu by ferry.

#14 Posted: 29/3/2014 - 12:01

• MercyB

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hi Rico, yes sulit and olx are the same, apparently. I just recently checked their site but i honestly have a hard time looking for properties there, it's a bit confusing for me... Over the weekend, I've searched for some nice accommodations for your stay. Let me compile them and I'll share them with you.

And yes definitely, once you know your dates and the exact area you will be staying in, I would gladly send you a list of places to go and visit. Both for you and your family to enjoy [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] Let me know if I was able to help in any way! Cheers!

#15 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 18:22

• MercyB

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

#16 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 18:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.