Philippines forum

Just saying hello

• timpotte

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2013

hello lived in the Philippines the last 5 years. Moved here from Texas and never left.

#1 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 10:58

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey tim,

my brother was born in the Philippines way back in the day when Subic Bay was still open, but i've never been. are you on Luzon or somewhere else? how's the San Miguel these days? still pretty good?

what would you say are the three to five best things about visiting the Philippines. what two or three places would make for a good trip to a first-time visitor? are there still unspoilt beaches to see? what was it about there that made you decide to stay? regards.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 17:00

• timpotte

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2013

The beer is still cold and cheap. However the new sin tax almost doubled the price.

Best thing is are easy my wife and 2 kids.

I am on the middle island of Cebu.

I was in subic many moons ago myself 1990-1991 not fun time with all the ash everywhere.

Enjoy and ask away. I will give you the truth and not just rose colored view of the world here. It is my life and I live it each day here.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 12:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

nice one with the wife and kids. congrats on that. those sin taxes can definitely take away some of the fun. but what does a cold beer cost at the local watering hole or the local mom & pop?

i remember the smoke and ash stories from some buddies who were at subic then too but got re-assigned as things started to close shop.

so my question for you is about interacting with the locals. i worked with a group of ilocano speakers way back in 1988 when i was picking pineapples on maui. they were nice folks to work with and even the guys in their 50's and 60's could keep up with the rest of us. how do you like your neighbors there on cebu?

#4 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 23:23

• timpotte

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2013

Being married to a Filipina I interact with the local population. Yet maybe not to the degree that one might if they actually worked and lived here. I do not work here and there is a vast cultural difference. My life resembles nothing like that of a Filipino. Additionally my life experiences are vastly different. I can bring those things to the table and makes for an interesting conversation. Though it seems to be the comparing of apples and oranges and to succeed here you must avoid that. You must find a way to integrate yourself in the culture. That for me is a struggle. So I do tend to live a life that excludes these types of situations.
    I do write a blog and it is my tag line. Yet I try and steer to the vast differences between the two cultures. Taking a comical yet serious approach to it. I think for anyone that moves here to live will have these issues.

I love when people try and once again compare things. Yes beer is very cheap less then a 1 USD around 80 cents no matter where you buy it. However with that comes a sacrifice. There is no competition the beer aisle is dominated by the local manufactures. That is it. Life is a commodity and every thing comes at a cost. So while your price of beer is cheap the question is, at what cost to you. For beer the cost is no other brands.

It can be a wonderful retirement location though knowing the set backs would assist anyone prior to making the jump.

#5 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 02:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.