Photo: A boat with your name on it, Coron, Busuanga Island.

Philippines forum

Overland / Overseas to the Philippines

Posted by jamesdueeast on 20/2/2013 at 22:34

Is it possible to sail cheaply (not on cruisers or freights unless they are cheap offers) overland / overseas to the Philippines from either Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam? Are there any ferry networks?
I've been unable to find any such transport. I'm trying to travel without flying and spending astronomical prices on ships.

#1 jamesdueeast has been a member since 18/2/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by goonistik on 21/2/2013 at 01:51

You'd have to go to Sandakan, Malaysia and take the ferry to Zamboanga.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2294814

Theoretically, it is possible a yacht will need an extra hand to help them cross the South China Sea. And the most likely spot you will find a yacht heading to Manila seems to be Hong Kong. However, I just don't know how practical this option is.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Babalugats on 20/4/2013 at 13:48

Hi. Have you been to the Philippines? Cebu Pacific offers a (Philippine) peso promo, and if you find one, you have to pay 30-50 US dollars for a one-way trip. Zamboanga is located in the western part of Mindanao, one of those regions where one must be extremely cautious. It's possible to go to Saranggani Group of Islands, which is at the opposite side, but as I found out seven years ago, the water is choppy at day time. I don't know if you'll like the voyage (at such time).

#3 Babalugats has been a member since 21/3/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 73
 Where has Babalugats been?   Website   Twitter   Google+ 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.