Philippines forum

Overland / Overseas to the Philippines

• jamesdueeast

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Is it possible to sail cheaply (not on cruisers or freights unless they are cheap offers) overland / overseas to the Philippines from either Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam? Are there any ferry networks?
    I've been unable to find any such transport. I'm trying to travel without flying and spending astronomical prices on ships.

#1 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 22:34

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

You'd have to go to Sandakan, Malaysia and take the ferry to Zamboanga.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2294814

Theoretically, it is possible a yacht will need an extra hand to help them cross the South China Sea. And the most likely spot you will find a yacht heading to Manila seems to be Hong Kong. However, I just don't know how practical this option is.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 01:51

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines

Hi. Have you been to the Philippines? Cebu Pacific offers a (Philippine) peso promo, and if you find one, you have to pay 30-50 US dollars for a one-way trip. Zamboanga is located in the western part of Mindanao, one of those regions where one must be extremely cautious. It's possible to go to Saranggani Group of Islands, which is at the opposite side, but as I found out seven years ago, the water is choppy at day time. I don't know if you'll like the voyage (at such time).

#3 Posted: 20/4/2013 - 13:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.