Philippines forum

Converting foreign to Philippine's Driver's License?

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

Hello all,

I'm a U.S. citizen, resident in Spain, with a California Driver's License (CDL). My CDL is not valid in Spain, and driving school, etc will cost me more than 1.000€ and several months.

However, the Philippines as a former Spanish colony has a convalidation agreement and it's possible to convert a Philippine's DL to a Spanish one.

I've also read that it is easy to convert a foreign CDL in the Philippines, for approx. 20€, which is my question.

Does anyone know if it would be possible/feasible to convert my CDL to a Philippines driver's license while on vacation there?
    Anything preventing me from doing so?
    Has anyone done this?
    Any tips??

thanks

#1 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 09:42

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hello.

It seems you need to be a resident or have a long-term visa (Requirement 3) to convert your license.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/services/drivers-licensing/112-license-related-transactions#conversionForeignLicenseNonProf

#2 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 19:38

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

3. Original and machine copy of valid visa or Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) if the foreign applicant temporarily resides in the Philippines.

I understand that to mean any (even short term) visa? No?

#3 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 02:28

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Unfortunately, the LTO doesn't specify which visa they will accept. Taking into consideration that many visitors are allowed to drive for 90 days, I am guessing you need a longer-term visa.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 16:22

• poepoe

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2014

Hi
    The key element related to "Visa" in the Philippines is that any visa is even a tourist visa issued at the airport. Now they allow you to stay for 30 days when you arrive. Then you can go and renew up to 59 days. Then you can go and renew for another 60 days and so on.

The main thing is that if hyou stay in the country more than 90 days with any visa (not if your visa expired and you are now an illegal alien) then that's all you need to show them to get your drivers license.

From what the LTO web site says, about 700 pesos is all that is needed for fees. BUT you need a medical exam and a drug test which can be another 500 to 1,000p or so. And photocopies. And if your license isn't in English it has to be officially translated.

But your visa, if you are in the country you can get a Philippines drivers license any time (if your visa is still valid).

#5 Posted: 30/1/2014 - 00:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.