Philippines forum

Help needed for travel around Philippines

• Decoy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hello,

A friend and I will be travelling around South East Asia early next year. We have researched and planned the majority of our trip but we are having problems finding the best/most convenient route around Philippines. We are planning on flying from Bali to the Philippines. We want to see Palawan, Boracay and Manila in a couple of weeks. Where is best to fly into? In which order is it best to travel between the three?

We have heard different things about travelling around the Philippines so were looking for up-to-date advice on airports, transfers or even boats.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 17:44

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Decoy,

I believe there are direct flights between Bali and Manila with PAL and Cebu Pacific.

For your destinations, the hub is Manila. There are no direct flights between Palawan and Boracay .You have to fly into Manila to go to and from Palawan and Boracay. So it doesn't matter which whether you go to Boracay or Palawan first as you still have to fly into Manila to connect.

I can't recommend traveling by boat for your destinations because you'd still have to sail to Manila to transfer to another boat.

And there is this rinky dinky bathtub that passes for a ferry that goes between Coron and Manila. Superferry, the more reliable company, no longer sails to Palawan.

http://www.legalnomads.com/2009/06/atienza-cargo-ferry-from-el-nido-to-coron-not-for-the-faint-of-heart.html

#2 Posted: 5/4/2013 - 23:56

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

I suggest Manila, Boracay, Palawan then back to Manila...

From Manila, you can buy a plane ticket going to Caticlan (Boracay). From the airport, it's just a few minutes ride going to Caticlan Jetty Port where you'll need to ride a ferry boat going to Boracay island (around 10 minutes).

You can buy a plane ticket from Caticlan airport going to Puerto Princesa (the capital of Palawan). And from Puerto Princesa, you can also ride a plane going back to Manila...

It's much better if you travel by plane than by ships... It's much faster and more convenient... Riding ships will just consume your time... ;)

#3 Posted: 13/4/2013 - 21:54

• Decoy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Thanks for the all the advice. It seems like it's best to fly into Manila, then to Boracay then Palawan.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 04:28

• zutem

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013

Happy trip to you Decoy and God bless !!!!!

#5 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 20:27

• ddguin

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2013

Hi Decoy,

The country's capital is Manila, so that's where your flight from Bali will probably land. As the other people here have suggested, it doesn't really matter where you go first - Palawan or Boracay - since you have to fly to these provinces either way. However, I will suggest that you visit Boracay first. In my experience, Boracay is beautiful but Palawan is even more captivating. If you visit Palawan first, chances are you will not appreciate Boracay as much.
    Another tip is to find out where your flight will land in going to Boracay - Kalibo or Caticlan. These two places have the nearest airports to Boracay, so most people head to Boracay through them. Landing in Caticlan is the most convenient way since it's only a few minutes away from the jetty port going to Boracay. If you land in Kalibo, you'd have to travel about an hour by van before reaching the jetty port.
    Here's a helpful, thorough article about travelling to Boracay: http://tropicalvacationspotsblog.com/your-ultimate-boracay-guide-philippines/

#6 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 08:25

• nomadicate

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

You can take an overnight ferry between Manila (well Bantagas, about3 hours from Manila) and Boracay for about 800 peso ($20). I did this and it was awesome. It's like a party boat, and for your ticket you get a bed onboard + meal too!

Where in Palawan do you want to go? If El Nido, you need to fly into Puerto Princesa. If Coron, a different airport.

I flew from Puerto Princesa to Cebu, and then from Cebu to Boracay, if this is something you are interested in...

But to be honest, I think you don't have enough time to visit all three places. I was there for 3 weeks and tried to cram in too much. There is heaps to do on Luzon which is the island Manila is on, e.g., Sagada, Bagio. Have you looked into this?

Sean.

#7 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 13:01

• FisherMaster

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2013

1) stay in Manila as short as possible. It is not a very nice city
    2) travel by boat is a bit unreliable, be prepared for quite long delays
    3) in country flights are quite cheap
    4) there is basically no place in the country that does not have an amazing beach. Hard to go wrong there
    5) Overall quite cheap, cheaper than Thailand I would say

#8 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 19:41

• nomadicate

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

I would have to disagree with FisherMaster in regards to the Philippines being cheaper than Thailand: no way! Accommodation is way more expensive, and so is the food.

Drinks (beer, spirits) is probably the same, if not cheaper in Philippines, but that is about it.

That's what I found anyway. I have been to the Philippines about 3 times now..

Philippines is cheap compared to a lot of countries, but I wouldn't say cheaper than Thailand...

#9 Posted: 6/8/2013 - 00:37

• bundynbeach-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

Decoy,

I haven't been to Boracay (from all reports, not my scene) so I can't really comment, but have to agree with ddguin's comment that Palawan will captivate you.
    You have the option of a flight (numerous daily) to Busuanga (Coron) or overnight ferry from MNL to Coron with 2Go Travel.
    Both are cheap but the ferry is back to running once a week again.
    I was told this might pick up again during high season, but not a lot is guaranteed.
    From Coron there is the banka to El Nido (chilled & beautiful) or ferry to Puerto Princessa.

Goonistik's link to Legalnomads' link isn't out of the ordinary, but not unusual either.
    If you plan that trip, pack a sense of humor and a flexible itinerary.
    Having said that, El Nido is worth every bit of it.

The three week trip you're planning would hardly be enough time to cover off all three places though . . . . sorry.

You'll have a great time though, wherever you go

#10 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 18:47

• Advertisement

• bundynbeach-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

Decoy,

I haven't been to Boracay (from all reports, not my scene) so I can't really comment, but have to agree with ddguin's comment that Palawan will captivate you.
    You have the option of a flight (numerous daily) to Busuanga (Coron) or overnight ferry from MNL to Coron with 2Go Travel.
    Both are cheap but the ferry is back to running once a week again.
    I was told this might pick up again during high season, but not a lot is guaranteed.
    From Coron there is the banka to El Nido (chilled & beautiful) or ferry to Puerto Princessa.

Goonistik's link to Legalnomads' link is out of the ordinary, but not unusual either.
    If you plan that trip, pack a sense of humor and a flexible itinerary.
    Having said that, El Nido is worth every bit of it.

The three week trip you're planning would hardly be enough time to cover off all three places though . . . . sorry.

You'll have a great time though, wherever you go

#11 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 18:49

• rey_21

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Boracay and Palawan are great places to go to, try Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park.

#12 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 01:11

• dvaedc3

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2013

Definitely all the beaches here in the Philippines are great, these are the first place tourist will go right away. But unfortunately, just this week, a super typhoon hit the Visayan region of the Philippines were the beautiful beaches are located.

I am not sure if they allow tourist to travel here right now, because of the natural calamity that my fellow Filipinos are suffering from. I know all of you heard about the news and if you want to help or even donate anything you want, you can visit this site: http://www.redcross.org.ph/ .

I am now at the capital city, which is Manila and I am planning to travel to the Visayan region before this tragedy happen. What I did is I cancel my flight and donate my vacation money to the victims of this super typhoon.

#13 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 23:27

• bundynbeach-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

The typhoon has made a mess of the place but hopefully a lot of places - Coron, Puerto Princessa & Boracay - will be looking for tourists and their money to rebuild.
    Use Manila as a base to fly in/ out of. Flights are direct to three places mentioned above.
    Check in another month or so, but Puerto Princessa is already open for business, and Coron & Boracay hopefully will be in a month or so.
    Staying away from these places because of the storm isn't going to get them back on the road to recovery.

#14 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 06:31

• threadstone

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2013

So far, most of the tourist attraction located in the visayas region are not in good shape due to bagyong yolanda. but there are still some ideal place that you and your family can visit. You can go to Davao, Siargao Island, Cagayan de Oro City and Camiguin Island.

#15 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 07:56

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

bundynbeaches -dont think pp was even affected by typhoon
    coron and boracay are already open for business too but coron was worse affected than boracay.

#16 Posted: 17/11/2013 - 07:29

• bundynbeach-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

Mindanao - cheers for that. It has been hard to get reliable information out of Coron / Busuanga in the last week. The news here (AUS) has concentrated on Tacloban. Mayor Reyes from Coron is appealing for tourists now apparently. My brother in law went back to Busuanga on the 2GO ferry last Friday. A lot of military personnel with aid on the same trip. Still waiting to hear back from him - no phone in northern municipalities.
    Have some good friends on that island who must be hurting right now

#17 Posted: 17/11/2013 - 14:39

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

#18 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 10:07

• marcustravel

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2013

Though the Philippines was devastated badly from the typhoon Haiyan, there are still a lot of good places to enjoy with your travel in the country.

Enjoy your travel and God Bless.

An insight: www.funtravelph.com/boracay/

#19 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 09:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.