Philippines forum

Visit the Philippines or Return to Vietnam?

• sunbell79

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi,
    I know that this is pretty open ended, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Each Spring my husband and I take a big trip and next year we're debating between visiting the Philippines for the first time or returning to Vietnam, which we absolutely loved two years ago. There's still much to uncover in Vietnam: Sapa, Central Highlands, MeKong Delta, etc. But, we might love the Philippines even more.

On our trips we of course love gorgeous beaches, but more than that, we love to get to know a new culture by covering the cities and towns by foot. We adore going through the markets, eating at the stalls with the locals, and basically eat and drink our way through the country.

Would love any advice you might have to offer. We're looking at going late March, early April, which is when we've visited both Thailand and Vietnam and are fully prepared for heat, humidity, and rain. We'll have about two weeks, which is customary for us.

Many, many thanks in advance!!

#1 Posted: 21/9/2013 - 12:17

• Advertisement

• PeterMFL

Click here to learn more about PeterMFL
    Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2013

Definitely check out Philippines since you've already been to vietnam!
    I absolutely love Boracay! Check out some photos you might get interested to do more research on it! ;)

#2 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 07:58

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Go to Vietnam. Its far better value than Philippines and much cheaper and easier to get around. In only a few years Vietnam has developed a thriving tourist infrastructure. The food is great. Boracay is a prime example of how not to develop a tropical paradise. It is a tiny island,bursting to the seams and totally overdeveloped. Many of the signs are in Korean as the island is a venue for rowdy,noisy party goers straight in from Seoul.
    The once pristine white beach is covered in trash

Sapa v Banaue? Halong Bay or PPUR?Give me Sapa and Halong anytime. Two weeks in Vietnam will cost you less than half what you will pay in Philippines. Its a no brainer
    Consider Cambodia if you have not already visited. Angkor Wat alone gets more visitors per year than the entire Philippines

#3 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 10:25

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

Yeah do visit Philippines, beautiful place, beautiful mall's, nice people, friendly atmosphere, you will like it...

#4 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 09:51

• roxaane

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2013

Go to phillipines. Its absolutely fun !! Especially Manila ocean park . You'll love it :)

#5 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 23:32

• sunbell79

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Thanks all for the tips. We will make sure to visit the Philippines in the future. For our next trip, we completely switched gears and are headed to Japan. Will seek tips for that soon.

#6 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 08:16

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You will find Japan a lot more pricey. Its a bit sterile as well.

#7 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 09:03

• MercyB

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2014

Hi!

I know this is pretty late but I do hope you visit the Philippines very soon. Or at least in your future travel plans. I'm from Manila (and though this may sound a bit biased) and have travelled to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. But if you are in search of beaches, nothing will compare to the beaches you'll find in the Philippines. There are so many to choose from and very affordable. And you'll meet some of the nicest, most hospitable people.

Mercee

#8 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 02:30

• davidurmann

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 14

I would vote for the Philippines also especially as you have traveled to Vietnam already a number of times. Some of my favorite places include Bohol and Camuigan which are easy to reach and lovely places to spend a week or more exploring. I love Vietnam also and the food is great. I dont think you can go wrong with this choice!

#9 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 07:03

• MarkSmith

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2014

No Doubt Philippiness Is So Beautiful , So if you have decided the go there

#10 Posted: 12/4/2014 - 05:49

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.