Photo: A boat with your name on it, Coron, Busuanga Island.

Philippines forum

Weather in Boracay in August

Posted by Laurac on 3/6/2014 at 04:06

Hi!
I plan to travel to Boracay in August, from 19 to 27, but it seems the weather is mostly rainy... is it true?
Is there any other similar destination nearby?
Any advice is very much appreciated...
Thanks, Laura

#1 Laurac has been a member since 3/6/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by goonistik on 4/6/2014 at 00:07

You can go to Boracay any time of the year but Boracay weather is a crap shoot in August.

Boracay is in a climate zone where the difference between the rainy season and dry season is not as pronounced. It can get rain anytime of the year but it doesn't get as wet as some parts of the Philippines during the rainy season.

The issue will be the southwest monsoon. The main beach faces the west so there is no protection from the sea breeze that will blow in from the west or southwest. The bars and restaurants have to set up screens to protect their customers from the sand blowing in from the beach. The winds can also churn up some strong waves.

OTOH, August is the off-season so it won't be as crowded. Rates will be lower.

Can you postpone your trip to October or November? It is still not peak season so room rates are still reasonable. But weather is usually better that time of the year. Peak season starts December 1.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Laurac on 4/6/2014 at 01:05

Thank you!
Unfortunately I can't postpone my holidays... me and my friend can just travel in August due to our work... our plan is to spend some days in Hong Kong and about ten days at a seaside near there. Some friends suggested us Boracay, but I don't think they went there in August... maybe we'll check for another destination, even if I'm afraid the problem will be the same for the most part of that area!

#3 Laurac has been a member since 3/6/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by goonistik on 4/6/2014 at 21:29

Hi Laurac,

Some people like going in August because there are no crowds. The last Labor day weekend in Boracay was horrible. Google "laboracay" and you'll see what I mean.

In the rainy season, it doesn't rain all day. It might rain for an hour and than that is it. So if you are set on Boracay, you can still go. Boracay is an all-year destination.
See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XIt9cKL4g

http://myfascinatingdejavu.wordpress.com/2007/05/25/getting-the-best-of-boracay-on-a-budget/

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Laurac on 5/6/2014 at 01:09

Thank u so much!
Laura

#5 Laurac has been a member since 3/6/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by Babalugats on 12/6/2014 at 12:24

You may be interested in Dumaguete and Siquijor. Northern Mindanao is another option. (I recommend the islands of Camiguin and Bucas Grande.)

#6 Babalugats has been a member since 21/3/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 73
 Where has Babalugats been?   Website   Twitter   Google+ 

Posted by AliceJames on 7/9/2015 at 07:39

Hi guys! thanks for the info about the weather in Boracay this August. I have plans of going there in a few days. But I hope you can help me by suggesting some of the best places in the island where I could stay? as well as some exciting things to try. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

#7 AliceJames has been a member since 7/9/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.