Philippines forum

From Philippines to Malaysian Borneo

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

Next year i'll be traveling in SE Asia, starting end ending in Kuala Lumpur.

Love to visit the Philippines at the end of my trip and before going back to KL, to do some traveling in Borneo.

Does anyone know someting about the options to travel from Philli's to Malaysian Borneo? I did some googling and looked in the Visa and border crossing FAQ, but failed to found usefull information.

#1 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 18:36

• Advertisement

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

You can catch a boat from Zamboanga city i think it is, to Malaysian Borneo. however, that province is in the muslim province, but i have heard that it is not a problem to pass through there. However, these boats see little tourists.

Another option is to fly from Manila to somewhere there, i think the flight is to Kota Kinabalu. Have a look at air asia's websites.

By the way, i've never done this trip but i'm just passing on what i've researched myself.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 18:55

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

I've done the Air Asia flight out of Clark ( About 2 hours drive North of Manila ) that Furneburner is talking about, to Kota Kinabalu... And I'm doing it again next Feb!

I'm a big fan of Air Asia and they are nearly always running some kind of promotion on their flights so you can generally pick this journey up cheaply ( I don't recall what it cost when I did it in April 2008 but I've booked for Feb 2010 already and it cost £18 for two people, one way!! Bargain! ).

Really liked KK - Spectacular storms, out at sea, in the evening and a nice waterfront with some great islands that are within easy reach ( The Abdul Rahman National Park I Believe ).

Never got to climb Mount Kinabalu last time but I'm definitely doing it this time...

With regards to Visas, where are you from?

If the answer is the UK, you get a 3 month visa on arrival in Malaysia for absolutely nothing...

#3 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 19:20

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

Thank you both for your reply!

Hoped to find out there was a ferry between the south of Palawan and MB (at the map it looks such a short distance) while I'm not really looking forward spending too much time on a supperferry all the way back to manilla where i probably get started. But such a cheap ticket makes worth te effort i guess :)Also read something about the possibility to travel from Zamboanga, but the Dutch ministry gives a negative traveladvice for that part of the philippines...

Also want to climb mount kinabalu but guess I'll have to do some workouts first ;)

I'm from Holland and as far as I know I also get the 3 month visa for free, which is great.

#4 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 22:32

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

Sannes: Please post regarding your ferry trip between south Palawan and Malaysia Borneo (MB?). eg. Where in MB does the ferry arrive?
    Bronzedwarrior: That is really good information regarding the airfares.
    Thanks, definately going to check out Air Asia.
    Clark to Kota Kinabalu £18 for two people, one way!! Of course I believe you but, That's unbelieveable!
    I wonder how long the visa is for US.

Thanks to everyone. I am begining my trip from HCMC in the middle of November(next month) and I am getting a lot of useful info regarding where to visit... Thanks all!

#5 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 03:09

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

Caripito - In fairness, I did book these about 2-3 months ago ( For Feb 2010 no less! ) and it was in the middle of one of Air Asias crazy 'Free flights - Pay only the tax and baggage fare' deals but these seem to happen with alarming frequency.

You just need to keep your eye out... In fact, if you sign up to their 'Red Alert' they mail you to tell you when they are happening!

Also, the pound has taken a right battering of late so I think the same fare would be more for me now...

I just hope they don't go out of business between now and Feb!

With regards a US travellers visa, it's the same as the UK - 90 days on arrival...

#6 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 03:33

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

Caripito: didn't find anything about a ferry departing from south palawan to Malaysia Borneo. The ferry from Zamboanga arrives in Sandakan.

#7 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 20:06

• miQuel

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Hi....

You also can fligth with ZestAir from Zamboanga to Sandakan for only 1800 Philipines Pesos..

http://www.zestair.com.ph/

Cheers

#8 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 01:45

• JlyGrnMigt

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2007

I took the flight between Clark and Kota Kinabalu back in 2007, and my recollection is that the fares were so cheap because they jack up the fees that get tacked on the back :) I flew there trying to get to Laos because there wasn't a direct flight between the RP and Lao PDR, and got a pleasant 24 hour layover which gave me time for an organized tour to one of the nearby parks. I'd definitely go back and spend more time exploring independently.

#9 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 00:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbiking in Borneo/Malaysian Borneo ... By t1m0l1v3r on 23 Apr 2012 1 1539 23 Apr 2012
How to get from Indonesian Borneo to Malaysian Borneo ... By savorygal on 21 Jul 2011 1 3619 25 Jul 2011
Malaysian Borneo ... By InevitableNomad on 25 Jul 2011 1 2022 1 Aug 2011
Malaysian Borneo ... By iciclesecret on 2 Sep 2011 3 2288 14 Sep 2011
Travelling Across Malaysian Borneo ... By murrin85 on 28 Sep 2011 1 1456 28 Sep 2011
Malaysian Borneo Itinerary help ... By finnreynolds on 4 Nov 2013 0 504 4 Nov 2013
Borneo (Malaysian part) - Islands ... By epether on 29 Jan 2012 2 1368 13 Feb 2012
Peninsular Malaysia vs Malaysian Borneo permits ... By jmcentee on 6 Jan 2010 0 2905 6 Jan 2010
Borneo to the Philippines ... By scottyheather on 26 Jan 2012 3 1514 9 Apr 2012