Philippines forum

July and August in the Philippines?

• edwuppy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

I am planning a vacation to the Phillippines in July and August. Is the rainy season so bad? And, can you give me some tips to where I can go? Beautiful, less touristy, places. thanks alot...

#1 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 17:02

• Advertisement

• krisited

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

edwuppy, yes these are the rainy months in the Philippines. Bringing an umbrella or rain coat would be a good idea. Philippines is a place with beautiful beaches, sadly you can't enjoy the sea, sun and sand at these times. and you can't really take good pictures when it's raining. anyhow, you can still enjoy many tourist spots or historical places in Luzon, so you don't need to go to other islands when the weather is bad.

#2 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 10:18

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

It can rain a lot during the rainy season. But the sun still pops out every now and then.

During this time of the year, it would be best to avoid the eastern side of Luzon and the Eastern Visayas as typhoons hit these areas the hardest.

Probably the best parts to explore would be western and central Visayas (Cebu, Iloilo,Panay), Palawan, Bohol) and Mindanao as these are out of the typhoon belt.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 21:58

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I have one suggestion for you. Bukidnon. I've been hearing it is a beautiful place. Just dying to go there myself.

I also found a site with some tips for those places I suggested.

http://tourism-philippines.com/destinations/

#4 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 22:31

• edwuppy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

thanks for the information.

#5 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 15:27

• millionario

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2004
    Total reviews: 15

Southern Visayas (Bohol, Negros, Camiguin and others) don't get much typhoons during the rainy season, that should be a relatively safe bet.

#6 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 16:31

• nasmej11

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

hello there!

how long do you plan to vacation here in the philippines...august and september is a good time to travel because it is OFF season...hehe...i usually travel around this times...

places i would recommend:
    1. laoag, vigan (northern part: ILOCOS region) try to stay at Blay de Blas.
    2. tagaytay (just 2 hours away from manila) if you want relaxing environs and great food)
    3. cebu
    4. Boracay
    5. palawan (check out taophilippines.com)

i hope you'll have a great time in my home country

#7 Posted: 7/3/2010 - 19:11

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I hope this reply isn't too late.

It's often raining in Luzon during the months of July and August, but that's not the case in the southern regions. Especially in northern and eastern Mindanao. It's safe for tourists (even local travelers), but if you have some doubts, you may check out Davao region or Siargao.

Not far from Davao City is Samal Island. It has nice beaches and lodging. If you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try water tubing in the town of Sta. Cruz (Davao del Sur) or explore some caves in Davao del Norte. The mountainous region of Compostella Valley offers hot springs and assorted waterfalls.

Siargao Island (in Surigao del Norte, northern Mindanao) is a surfing haven. At the back of it is Bucas Grande Island. I visited the isle a couple of years ago, and I can tell that it's a different kind of isle.

You may want to visit my blog (http://franz-goingplaces.blogspot.com) to know more. You can also get in touch with the Department of Tourism in able to get the contact numbers of the tourism offices in Davao and Surigao. I'm sure they'll be glad to assist you.

I hope this helps.

#8 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 21:38

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 17

it's safe for tourists (even foreign travelers)*

#9 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 21:40

• shelley0375

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

Palawan is your best bet during the rainy reason. Three places you can consider checking out: Puerto Princesa, the capital of Palawan where you can access beaches by land & the famed underground river, El Nido famous for its beaches, diving & limestones, and Coron also famous for its beaches, diving and safari-like sanctuary. All three have accommodations ranging from first class to basic.

Because of it's location, the typhoons manage to always miss it. Only problem is that if it's raining hard in Manila, flights maybe cancelled. Whatever happens, never ever travel by sea during those times.

#10 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 12:41

• Advertisement

• renrendiaz

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2010

I think that was a a good idea traveling by July and August,that month is a rainy season.Luneta Park and Intramuros are the best places to visit even if it is a rainy season.

#11 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 20:10

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Contrary to what you may think it does not rain all day every day in the rainy season,just don't expect dry sunny weather all day every day.Its a good time to travel as prices are reduced for low season and as school holidays are over in Philippines it tends to be less busy and crowded.
    Try some island hopping, Cebu,Bohol and the beautiful enchanted island of Siquijor to name but a few

#12 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 22:24

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Why not just consult the official PAGASA website? You don't even need to log-on and give away your email.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/wb.html

#13 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 08:37

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

@ goonistik -did u visit bukidnon yet?.

#14 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 04:30

• julie15

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2012

July and August are the rainy months. But not that all the time, or even the whole day rains. The sun still came out. You can still enjoy your vacation to any places here in the Philippines.
    http://julieivieorido.blogspot.com/.

#15 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 00:58

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

It's still hot in the Philippines during the rainy season. :) If you're staying in Luzon, there are many tourist spots there aside from the beach.

For example:
    * Taal Lake
    * Hundred Islands, Pangasinan
    * Banaue Rice Terraces, Ifugao
    * Undergound River, Palawan

It's also good to visit the beach as long as it's not raining. If you don't like beach resorts with lots of people, Palawan Island would be a great choice.

#16 Posted: 7/6/2012 - 08:03

• touristdriv-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

The past two months suppose to be a dry season but we have been experiencing a lot of rains. Climate change... wonder what's the wet season will be?

#17 Posted: 7/6/2012 - 20:20

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

you say : I am planning a vacation to the Phillippines in July and August
    1st oct.+nov. would be better
    2nd vacation what for?
    3rd where you come from?
    if you're a diver or biker, rainy season not good!
    try to get ya holidays other time
    -good luck!

#18 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 09:56

• mindanao

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

thaiXplorer the thread was started in 2010 -so most likely the person has already travelled there and not ur business where they come from

#19 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 11:30

• alyz

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2012

there are expected typhoon on july and august but most of them are just mild, like it won't strike the land and others are just "passing by" so you don't have to worry.
    if you want a place that is beautiful and less touristy, Rapu - Rapu Islands is perfect! visit http://alyzamonicaaguilar.blogspot.com to know about the place. It's not expensive too and is really safe :)

#20 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 02:35

• jngomez085

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2012

Hello try Ilocos Norte. I just been there a week ago, the thing that i like most in ilocos is Sand Boarding.

#21 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 20:24

• bargeconnec-
    tion

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2011

I am posting this as reference for those who will be having the same query in the future as probably the person who started the post have visited the country already.

July - August is rainy season in the Philippines and usually, it is during these months that typhoons are frequent. Most places especially in the northern part are most likely to be affected where floods and rains are heavy.

I would suggest visiting Cebu. They have good diving spots in Moalboal and lately a good tourist attraction in the southernmost part (Oslob) has become popular for whale shark seeing and diving too. For those who love to go to clubs, they have many in the metropolis. International hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, and other beaches abound too.

#22 Posted: 2/7/2012 - 03:16

• tipsygoon

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2012

Hi edwuppy!

It's really hard to say for the Philippines since the country is divided into 4 different climate zones. I am at the moment in Dauin, Negros Oriental. We have pretty good weather so far. There is a bit rain but not too bad so still great for a vacation.
    I found very good information about the climate zones on this page. Maybe that helps:
    http://www.travellingthephilippines.com/thephilippines/climate/

Bohol might be a good choice since it is not that affected by typhoons because it is surrounded by many other islands. Alona beach could be worth a try at this time.

Cheers

#23 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 05:36

• tipsygoon

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2012

Hi edwuppy!

It's really hard to say for the Philippines since the country is divided into 4 different climate zones. I am at the moment in Dauin, Negros Oriental. We have pretty good weather so far. There is a bit rain but not too bad so still great for a vacation.
    I found very good information about the climate zones on this page. Maybe that helps:
    http://www.travellingthephilippines.com/thephilippines/climate/

Bohol might be a good choice since it is not that affected by typhoons because it is surrounded by many other islands. Alona beach could be worth a try at this time.

Cheers

#24 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 05:36

• travelinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

I hope this post isn't too late, but hey, who knows, this info can be handy. Here's a list of great beaches in The Philippines. It's quite pricey but the it's all worth it!

1. Pearl Farm in Davao

http://www.pearlfarmresort.com/

2. Amanpulo between Panay and Palawan Islands

http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpulo/home.aspx

3. Misimis Bay in Albay

http://www.misibisbay.com/

4. Caramoan Islands in Cam Sur

http://caramoanislands.com/

5. Boracay

http://boracayregency.com/

I hope this helps! smile.gif

#25 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 12:02

• migsaquino

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

You can check out any of the places in Palawan-- Coron, Puerto Princesa, and El Nido.

It's the sunniest place I've been to, I must say. Rain occasionally falls here. But not the same drops we get in Manila.

#26 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 03:30

• bikolboy

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

Hey, I know it's already September and by this time you might have packed your bags and headed off to the Philippines. I hope I can still help you decide where to go.

For starters, why don't you head to Bicol Region? It's relatively accessible by land (7 hours by bus from Manila). It's down south and is home to a lot of "virgin" beaches and islands.

You can find hotels and inns in Naga City, depending on your budget. You can opt for inexpensive inns (Php1,000 or less/USD 25) or the classier 4-star boutique hotels (USD100).

Getting around is relatively cheap. Of course, if you want to join small tour groups, you can.

#27 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 03:47

• bikolboy

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

Hey, I know it's already September and by this time you might have packed your bags and headed off to the Philippines. I hope I can still help you decide where to go.

For starters, why don't you head to Bicol Region? It's relatively accessible by land (7 hours by bus from Manila). It's down south and is home to a lot of "virgin" beaches and islands.

You can find hotels and inns in Naga City, depending on your budget. You can opt for inexpensive inns (Php1,000 or less/USD 25) or the classier 4-star boutique hotels (USD100).

Getting around is relatively cheap. Of course, if you want to join small tour groups, you can.

#28 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 03:51

• bikolboy

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

#29 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2093 13 Apr 2012
1 week in Philippines July, where would you go? ... By TonyM on 15 Jun 2012 14 5198 12 Jul 2012
Indonesia/Philippines/Burma? June-August 2014 28y/o f ... By cosmia on 11 Feb 2014 3 717 1 Mar 2014