Philippines forum

Visa question

• Tapsiful

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009

Hi people,

I need some info on visa and I hope someone can help.

So, I can get 21 day visa on arrival in Philippines but apart from some other things I have to show a return ticket when I arrive.

But I want to stay more than 21 days so I want to buy the return ticket for a later time than 21 days after arrival and I want to extend my visa when I'm in Philippines.

So, is it enough that I show a return ticket that is dated later than 21 days after arrival and tell to the customs office that I will extend the visa at the Immigration Office or I get the 21 days only if I have a return ticket that is dated before the 21 days expires? In other words, is it necessary to apply for a tourist visa before going to Philippines if I want to stay longer than 21 days?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 22:06

• Advertisement

• millionario

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2004
    Total reviews: 15

Hi Tapsiful,

the issue won't be with the Philippines Immigration officers, but probably with your air carrier. According to IATA regulation, ground personnel have to check your immigration status relative to your country of destination. That may not be the case for all airlines, some are more thorough on security and others not. On that basis, I have been denied boarding a flight from HCMC, Vietnam to Manila, Philippines because I didn't have a valid return ticket.
    Usually, what I'm doing now to avoid hassles at the airport is buy either a refundable ticket or a very cheap low cost ticket to exit the country before the 21 days of transit without visa. For example, Air Asia have flights from Manila to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia that cost only PHP1300 one-way. The airline will let you board if you can provide that reservation at check-in time.

Hope that helps,
    M.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2010 - 15:31

• Tapsiful

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009

Thanks for the info Millionario.

I decided to buy a return ticket before the 21 days and will try to rebook it to a later time when I'm in Philippines. I bought the ticket at Cebu Pacific because I will depart from Bangkok and this airline offered the cheapest option I found for BKK/CGY trip - for almost the half of the price of Philippinese Airlines. And as far as I know Cebu Pacific has offices all around Philippines.

thanks for your answer again,
    Tapsi

#3 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 13:21

• hmdliven

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2011

I have also some questions regarding tourist visa.
    Im from Iran and i cant apply the visa upon the arrival, have to arrange that before travel tp philippine.

can you guys recommend me a " visa agency " to which i can apply my visa through .

Thank you in advance
    Hamid

#4 Posted: 6/11/2011 - 15:03

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

When I went to The Philippines I knew I was staying more than 21 days so I went to apply for a visa in Bangkok. I had proof of my outbound flight from Manila to Montreal. The catch was this they wanted to see my ticket going to the Philippines as well... So I had to book a one way flight flight to Cebu that day in order to get my visa.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2011 - 18:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.