Cameras and travel photography forum

Super zoom cameras

• emma066

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

Hi there,

I am looking at getting this camera to go away with. It's within my budget and I'm thinking it's going to ensure some good quality pictures (good for Angkor Wat and scenery etc).

Fujifilm FinePix S1500 Digital Camera

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-S1500-Digital-Camera/dp/B001SN6XQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270580359&sr=1-1

Has anyone got anything similar or can recommend one?

What are the benefits and drawbacks of travelling with a camera like this rather than bog standard digi camera?

Thanks very much.

#1 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 02:00

• Advertisement

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

The camera i took on my last holiday (also a Fuji) was slightly smaller than the S1500 but only really around the lens. I didn't find it much trouble, although it was yet another time i realized i didn't use it enough to justify packing it but that's just me. I always carry around a shoulder bag/satchel that goes across my chest so its quite safe and more than enough space to hold the camera and other stuff you may need.

Personally i don't like 'super-zoom' cameras I've never really gotten the benefit of them, because of whats sacrificed in having a larger zoom range.

Fuji is definitely the cheapest option (in almost all camera sectors) and doesn't mean lower quality pictures - good sensor - you can probably get the camera cheaper Fujifilms own website if your in the UK, it will be reconditioned but will be as new just a shorter warranty.

This doesnt show the camera your looking at but it may be of some help: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

#2 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 06:36

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I've used one of the Panasonic versions for years. Mine is the FZ=7 but I think the newere one is the 18. I wen't with the Pana for the Leica lense.

Before the superzoom I used a totaly manual Pentax with very slow slide film so the digi cam seemed like magic. There are many drawbacks to the superzooms the biggest being the small sensor, but then all the point and shoots have small sensors too.

I like that they have a viewfinder. A viewfinder allows me to better frame a shot and wait for the moment to pull the trigger. Also the viewfinders aren't optical, they are a mini version of the photo you will get allowing you to see under or over exposure before you take the shot.

But....

If you aren't into taking pictures it might be a bit much to take along. Ever owned an SLR?

#3 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 07:28

• yelvington

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2010

We have had two Fujifilm S-series cameras similar to the one you cited for years. One no longer works and the other has a broken flash, but I have no complaints -- these things have been all over the world and have produced thousands of great images -- London, Paris, Prague, Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur ... lots of mileage. And my teenage daughter has posted more than 15,000 images on the Web with them, which is the real reason one is broken.

The Fuji cameras are really, really good with low-light situations. Their weakness is that they're slow to focus, slow to respond. They're not pro cameras and you would be frustrated if you tried to use them to shoot action sports. But they look/feel a lot like a 35mm SLR. The price is really good. I really wantr a Panasonic Lumix G2, but they cost four times as much.

#4 Posted: 27/6/2010 - 09:21

• bertiej

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2010

I think you can go wrong with a Fuji camera. I have a Canon D500 digicam which is quite expensive and for advanced photography. If you just want a good cam for holiday pics, I think the S1500 is a good choice and you will get some fine pics. As already mentioned, cameras in this price segment have also some drawbacks (respond time, light, ...) but overall you get good value for the price.

#5 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 21:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.