admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Another forum section by request: Camera advice and photography techniques.

Perhaps useful for those trying to decide between taking five kilos or camera gear or a polaroid.

Please no posts from merchants etc.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• mitl

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2009
    Location Thailand

If you have a reasonable DSLR camera that shoots RAW, that body combined with the best zoom lens you can afford will be ok for most subjects e.g. a 70-200 f2.8

I'm a travel photographer so if you need any further help, please contact me.

johnmarmon@gmail.com

#2 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 23:38

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

We took our Nikon D3100, with Tamron 18-270 zoom. This gave us excellent results, for all situations. We did feel very conspicuous, however, with such a large, extravagant, in-your-face camera.
    On my last trip, I took my Canon SX230 point n shoot. Very good results, though not as good as the Nikon. I also missed the viewfinder - I'm not a fan of composing with the screen. Sunlight has a big effect on what you can see. The main advantage from my point of view was that it was completely inconspicuous, and I could simply snatch a shot quickly.

For individuals, always request permission first. If not given, no photo.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 03:47

• mitl

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2009
    Location Thailand

I can't really understand that you felt conspicuous with a Nikon 3100 and the 18-270 zoom. I regularly use my Nikon D700 with a 70-200 zoom and many others do too! If you are relatively new to photography, I can understand perhaps a reluctance to shoot people. But I usually find a friendly approach combined with a smile works 99% of the time or I shoot candids.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 04:42

• Danielwatso-
    n123

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2012

hi am a fujifilm finepix 2950 user . it is a semi slr and and has excelent zooming and clarity.well i believe while travelling it is wiser to shed some kilos.isn't it friends???

#5 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 07:44

• Hellmans

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi there!

I'm probably being really silly but I am back packing alone in February / March next year all round Asia and I'm not sure whether or not to take my Canon 7D...it's 50 / 50 with people's opinions (some say leave it others say take it or you'll regret it if you don't).

Obviously I want to snap the wildlife, culture, people etc but am worried about getting it stolen or damaged....plus, there's the extra baggage and weight..I think I may be over worrying but if I was travelling in a group, I wouldn't be questionning it so much.

Be keen to hear other peoples thoughts on this and if you've travelled safely alone with expensive gear?

Thanks!

Helen

#6 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 05:42

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

Hellmans.Take your Canon but make sure you have good insurance cover. If you leave it behind you will kick yourself with all the missed shots. Let’s face it the trip you are contemplating is a photo takers dream. I/we are heading off hopefully next year and we are taking, don't ALL say "You are crazy" LOL, two Sony video cameras with long range microphones, they are so small today they actually fit in your pocket. Hi definition 1080 pictures and 5.1 sound. Also an Olympus E520,about the same as your Canon and an Olympus SP800UZ, smaller but takes phenomenal shots, plus a small laptop for film editing and uploading film and pics to our website.
    Reason ??
    To us travel is a great experience not to be forgotten and the easiest way to remember and share is with film, sound and pictures. Bottom line. Take a few precautions, insure your gear and take some memories so you can relive your trips. Also I recommend not using use too high capacity SD cards. Better to have several about 4/8 GIG and copy them and then send them home for safety than to have a lot of pics/film on a card and have it stolen or lose it.

#7 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 20:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.