Cameras and travel photography forum

Q's about traveling w/ DSLR - bag + sending pics home

• csawala

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2011

I have been living and teaching English in Japan for the past 1.5years, and am leaving on July 29th for my "trip home" to Canada via 3-6months of SE Asia.
    I bought my Nikon D5000 body w/ 18-200mm lens in Canada, and have used it thoroughly since coming to Japan. Now that my travels are coming up, I know for sure I want to bring it along to make sure I get those quality photos I've come accustomed to taking.

BAG: I have had a Lowepro Rezo 160AW bag for the camera, flash, extra battery, chargers, etc., but want to upgrade to something a little more convenient for more extensive traveling. The all weather covering is great, but it's uncomfortable and inconvenient for bringing around traveling (can't comfortably sling it over my shoulder for an entire day).
    Was thinking about a daypack that doubles as a camera bag, but something I can bring along with my 40/50/60L travel pack (don't know how big it actually is). And it would be my carry-on for flights as well, so it would have to hold my gear, plus kindle, DSi, iPod and extra stuff I don't trust to check in.

PHOTOS: Once I get out there, I don't want to carry around SD cards/USB flash drives/etc., but I also don't want to worry about losing the photos should anything happen.
    I have been reading the forums but haven't been able to decide on anything that works for my budget. I read about sending DVD's home to and to friends, is that reliable enough? I was thinking about doing that before I read about it, but am still looking for options and advice.

Sorry about the novel of a post :)

#1 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 10:27

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi - this is a camera bag (LowePro Passport Sling) that I have been considering. I just discovered it the other day at a local store and thought it looked great for travelling. All reviews that I have seen rate it fairly high (as long as you don't have an extra-large SLR). It's a shoulder sling style that doesn't actually look like a camera bag, but it has the padded box section in one part of the bag. I think the one problem is if you have two lenses - you would need to maybe have a separate padded pouch for the second lens otherwise it just 'floats' on the other side of the bag with all your other stuff.

In terms of backing up, I carried an iPod Classic and a netbook, so just made sure I had copies of all photos on both. My previous trip, I copies pics onto DVD's and just carried them as I was only away for 6 weeks. On a long trip, you could consider having two DVD's made - one to carry in your pack, and one to post home.

No worries about being a newbie poster. We were all new once! :-)

#2 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 15:28

• clarencews

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2011

As someone who has gone through the entire offerings of lowepro personally owning the fastpack 250 as my main camera bag, I highly suggest against you purchasing a large camera pack. The truth of it is that you will NOT be able to pack it into your back pack and you'll end up having to tote it around hand held. Of course that all depends on how long your going to end up actually backpacking.
    I'm currently in the middle of my south east Asia stint and I picked up the Lowepro Inverse 100. Though I have a plethora of gear at home, this is forcing me to travel light. That means I only have a 17-50 2.8, a 17-250, and a 35mm 1.4 prime. These three lenses have gotten me through 99% of the south east asia shots, reguardless of whether I was on top of a temple in bagan or stepping around in town. Travel light! It's really hot and the weight of the gear will get to you. If you want buy one of those collapsable daypacks from north face and just drop your Rezo into it. That way you can actually bring your rain gear with you.

Good luck on your journey, but remember to take only what you need.

#3 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 22:29

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

There aren't many camera bags that are designed for backpackers so it is more difficult to find a good bag.

Check out the backpacks from Clik Elite, F-stop, and Naneu. Kata just released a new series of backpacks the TLB family. It looks interesting.

Until I can buy an f-stop pack, I stuffed a camera bag (similar to your rezo) into an ordinary daypack.

#4 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 13:00

• bluenote

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011
    Location United States

I've always traveled with a point-and-shoot, but looking to buy/travel with an slr for my upcoming trip (probably canon t2i). I had thought I would just buy a form-fitting case to enclose the slr+lens, a separate case for the telephoto lens, and maybe another bag of sorts for the battery, charger, memory etc, and then throw each of those into my backpack. But I do like that sling bag that was linked above, and wondering what the experience of others has been: do most slr travelers use a dedicated camera bag, or put the slr into a backpack with other stuff?

I'd like to have the slr with me on many but not all days, and it's mainly for memories - nothing professional here. (I'm going on a safari later in the year, which is what prompted the idea of a nicer camera.) I guess my main question is, if most people bringing slr's also require dedicated slr bag, and I'm thinking of "tossing" my slr into a backpack along with my guidebook, water bottle etc, is this a reasonable plan or might it make more sense to stick with a point&shoot?

Thanks! Really appreciate any input

#5 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 23:25

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Bluenote,

Are you bringing a lot of accessories like flash, filters, and additional lenses?

If yes, than a camera bag will be useful. If no, a camera holster such as these are enough.

http://www.kata-bags.com/product_list/8374.85655.80272.0.0/Holsters

#6 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 09:36

• bluenote

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks for the link! That definitely looks more like what I would need. I would bring only the SLR+standard lens, and also a telephoto (75-200?) - no flash or other gizmos.

With that thought in mind also found these neoprene cases: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113792-REG/Zing_Designs_545_121_Large_SLR_Action_Cover.html

Just tough to know what combination of bags to bring for a fun trip to thailand! If I bring my usual Gregory backpack then I need a bigger daypack to hold the SLR, so who knows...

thanks

#7 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 10:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sending home antimalarials ... By ajr81 on 18 Nov 2011 8 1115 18 Nov 2011
Sending Pictures Home ... By sublime_net on 9 Sep 2008 5 4280 2 Oct 2010