Cameras and travel photography forum

Does anyone know if cameras are cheep in singapore

• geoffraffe

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2007

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new camera at the minute. I'm in Cambodia now but will be traveling back through Bangkok and then on to Singapore. Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy cameras in Southeast Asia is?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/3/2007 - 11:26

• Advertisement

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Cameras are pretty cheap in Singapore, to my knowledge. I believe it is cheaper than Bangkok. No cheaper place other than Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Perhaps you have a specific model in mind? I can call to check up on the street price in Singapore. Also have a handful of camera shops here to recommend. You can get your tax refunded too.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2007 - 22:35

• zohe

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2007

i hope this is not too late for you. yes, cameras can be very cheap in singapore. there is this particular store that quotes the lowest price. Go to holland village and look for a camera shop name Parisilk. it is run by a group of indians. Go in with a clear mind of which model you have in and ask for the price. You do not need to negotiate. almost 99% of the time it proves to be the lowest price quote in town!

have fun shopping in singapore!

#3 Posted: 31/3/2007 - 12:14

• peterANDsha-
    ron

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, try the SimLim square which has mostly computers and accessories, or the Funan plaza. Lucky Plaza on Orchard road also has many camera shops. I agree with 'longtail' on pick a model before going and then shop for best price being mindful of warranty conditions. Some warranties are only valid in the country of purchase. The tax refund counter at the airport usually has a decent queue, so be prepared to wait in line! Also you may need to ask for the tax refund paperwork if the shop seller doesnt offer it to you. hope this helps -peter

#4 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 18:21

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

electronics stores in Lucky Plaza are pretty notorious, many have been blacklisted in the past for less than desirable sales practices. there are reasons why most locals don't buy their stuff there.

apart from Sim Lim Square, you can try Peninsula Plaza which is just across the road from Funan IT Mall that #4 mentioned - easy to walk across & compare prices. Cathay Photo Store (www.cathayphoto.com.sg) has their main outlet there. if you have a specific model in mind you can try calling them & asking for their price & if it is in stock, saves you the trip down - i've done that before.

#5 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 22:43

• Pol

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2007

I just came back from Singapore. I visited Audio House (near Clarke Quay)which is awarded by Singapore Tourist Board for their excellence service and got a super cheap camera from there. They also provide Tourist special discount when you present your passport during Great Singapore Sale.

#6 Posted: 18/6/2007 - 19:57

• leninkoh

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

Heres a tip for buying cameras in Singapore, which is the one of the cheapest places second only to HK.

1. get a online quote from mscolour (mscolor.com.sg)
    -look for the equote page
    - give them about a week to reply
    - this will give you an idea of how much cameras should cost currently
    - armed with this you can proceed to the next step

2. head down to the shops around city hall
    - Cathay Photo (Peninsula Plaza)
    been around for awhile and they are pretty decent. but its often my last choice due to inconsistent service standards. popular amongst professionals due to the huge selections they carry.
    - Alan Photo (funan centre)
    same as cathay, but ive found them to be cheaper on most occasions. not as much variety. service standards are acceptable.
    - Camera Workshop (peninsula shopping centre)
    they sell hongkong sets, without local warranty at 10-15% cheaper prices. good palce if your're not interested in local warranty. good service and very knowledgeble.
    - John 3:16 (funan centre)
    slightly higher priced, but unmatched in terms of service and dedication. good if you dont know what you want or need.

3. avoid mass electronics retailers (courts, audiohouse, best denki etc)
    - if you must shop there out of convenience, note that the salesmen have the liberty to offer discounts off the stated price, so how good a deal will depend on how well you haggle :)

4. get a GST refund
    - most retailers will assist you in this, so enquire before purchasing
    - currently the sales tax is 7%, similar to Thailand's

#7 Posted: 22/10/2007 - 12:03

• footprints

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2008

hmm .. jus a advise as not to go stores like alan photo or shops at sim lim sq as sometimes prices do jack up due to tourist.. their sales work in a different way, unless u really know ur stuffs, else i suggest can go to mass electronics retailers.. but selective. i would recommend audio house as they r under casetrust adn awarded of excellence service award by singapore tourism board.

another place you can try is mustafa, which i think leninkoh missed out..

#8 Posted: 21/1/2008 - 21:42

• henricartier

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2008

In my humble experience, being in Singapore 5 times in the last four years, and spending an extraordinary amount of energy online to 'research' price fluctuations of a variety of consumables, especially electronics I have come to the conclusion: 1. Do your homework - online and through forums, many specific to photo gear and purchases.
    2. Compare !( seems such an obvious thing to do but who does it ?)prices at "home" wherever you usually reside. Last time I bought a digital camera in Singapore it was about the same price in Australia- minus a lot of hassle with so-called 'bargaining' (read: price inflated for unwary foreigners - bargaining makes it seem cheaper when in reality it's 'R-retail') 3. Singapore used to be cheap(er)with comparable economy and exchange rates to most OECD countries - not so today. Yes you may be lucky. But minus the 'english' instruction book, or warranty woes etcetera. Be aware - compare- do your homework, it's worth the few hours online when parting with a few K of hard-earned cash - for most anyway.
    Finally- after much online searching I eventually bought a brand new Leica from a New York (US) store online- it arrived today - 6 days from ordering - via UPS and cost - wait for it - two thirds the price I would have paid in Oz. (that price INCLUDED freight and case, spare battery and SD card !)I checked prices with 'duty free' in Bangkok airport and their price was almost identical to an Australian cameras shop's best price. You have been warned !

#9 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 20:41

• petele

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2008
    Location Australia

Hi henricartier,
    This is my first time on travelfish, so my apologies if I'm not following protocol. I am interested to know the US online store you bought your camera from. I am in Australia and about to travel to Borneo to photograph orang-utans. I was considering buying a new camera and lense in Singapore, but sounds like I would get a bettter deal from the company you purchased through.
    thanks
    Pete

#10 Posted: 25/4/2008 - 17:29

• Advertisement

• plehmens

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2008

Hi Pete.

Try www.bhphotovideo.com . They are the most reputable NY camera store catering to amateurs and pros. If you intend spending more than AUD $1000, consider spliting your order up if you want to avoid Australian customs duty and GST (yes, before AUS customs release your consignment, they will charge you GST on (the purchase price + shipping)).

On the other hand, I have also purchased equipment from www.cathayphoto.com.sg in Singapore. All price negotiations via email and then simply dropped in to collect the item during a short stopover.

Cheers.
    Peter (Canberra)

#11 Posted: 28/4/2008 - 16:54

• petele

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2008
    Location Australia

Thanks Peter,

I have just emailed Cathayphoto to check their prices as we will have a stop over on the 9th May. My time has run out to buy o/s across the internet now as there is a risk the gear won't arrive in time. so Cathayphoto is a good option at this stage.
    Cheers
    Pete

#12 Posted: 29/4/2008 - 07:54

• mysticman

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2008

Does Mohd Mustafa have a website where i can inquire about the sanyo xacti ca 65 price???
    Cheers
    Eddie

#13 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 17:19

• snowrides

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2009

Does anyone know if cameras are still cheaper in Singapore or if they have newer models than in the uk?

The last post is a year old, so if anyone knows the current details or where I can go online to check prices that would be helpful.

Many thanks

#14 Posted: 2/6/2009 - 13:15

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

snowrides

have found that the first thing to do is visit a camera shop and determine the camera you want (get code details).

Then, go to google, type in the camera make, model and the word price (or online price). That will reveal online stores.

I did a comparison recently for a travelfish query and found UK online pricing to be very very expensive.

But, that said, also check out the place of manufacture. For example, I found there to be differences between a Canon model made in Japan and the same model made in China (actually its Vietnam, but the label says China). So, maybe that's why the difference.

After taking the value of the US$ into account, the US online's maybr expensive.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 2/6/2009 - 20:36

• www0sgminsu-
    0com

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

I thnk Hong Kong may have some cheaper cameras in Asia

#16 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 15:02

• kikae

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Where is the best place to buy cameras in Asia....Tahiland, Singapur, Malasia???
    Thanks

#17 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 12:07

• bdtjones

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010
    Location Canada

Anyone know what the camera prices are like in BKK?

#18 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 12:38

• samlu

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2010

The best way to buy camera now will be shop at those online shopping website such as Amazon, ebay. There are a lot of cheap and budget camera there. However you should be careful to select the reliable sellers. As online market have too many scam person.

#19 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 16:33

• steave

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010

off course, camera cheap in Singapore, you can buy cheap and latest camera in Singapore, but take a information about good shop in Singapore, and check the price two or three store and check current online offer also, so you can get a idea about average price. sure you can get a good latest camera vary cheap from Singapore.

#20 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 11:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Canon Cameras in Singapore ... By thebetch on 4 Jul 2010 0 3414 4 Jul 2010