admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

British travel writer David Whitley, fresh off a trip to Laos has just published a piece titled "Is it ever ok to take photos of third world villagers?" that delves into the discussion of should tourists really be tramping around villages taking pics of the locals, and their children, in a "traditional" setting.

David rightly asks, how would you feel if a bunch of complete strangers wandered into your front yard and took photos of your household behaving "traditionally". You know, you raking up the leaves (pointless western tradition), your sister watching TV (western religious activity) and Mum doing the ironing (just pointless across all cultures but goes well with the religious experience pumping out of the box against the far wall).

Like David, I wouldn't be too impressed.

Here in Bali, we spend a lot of time at the beach, and with two young blond children, they get photographed a lot. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, especially if it's just a passing shot (and hey, they are gorgeous!) but other times, when people squat right near them, taking dozens of pics, I get really annoyed. At times I'll go and sit between them and the photographer, spoiling the shot (I'm not nearly as photogenic!) but never once, has a stranger walked up to me and said:

"Excuse me, do you mind if I take a picture of your children?"

lylawill.jpg
    See, gorgeous :)

So I'd say this isn't just a problem of third world villagers, but rather a more general question of why do so many people not bother to ask? I know in asking, the "natural" state of the photo may be lost, but surely, it is more important to ask?

What do you think?

#1 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Agree completely.
    I always ask before taking personal photos, (as distinct from general crowd shots), and if refused, desist.
    Usually, permission is given, and the adult also wants to be in the shot.

#2 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 05:01

• Alexandre81-

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2013

I agreed what is said above!!!

Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had. Usually I also observed, permission is given and the adult also wants to be in the shot. Everything in this post is completely true!

#3 Posted: 22/8/2013 - 12:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My daughter, who is bi-racial but you wouldn't know it to look at her, is a Thai speaking little white girl. She's very cute, very precocious. She gets photograghed by Thais all of the time. They also (complete strangers) come and sit on my porch all of the time. Nobody ever asks permission. People also pinch her cheeks (which she hates and responds to rather unpleasantly, sometimes even violently). I would be really surprised that unless you were really intrusive and obnoxious about it, someone taking a picture at least out where I live would be a problem. Maybe in some real backwaters where people are absurdly superstitious...

#4 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 10:09

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I noticed in Chinese villages that the elderly people were very shy about pictures. Even if I was taking a shot of a building or something and they were in sight they would cover up their faces with a scarf etc. I think it is some superstition to do with a camera going into their soul and corrupting it (or something along those lines!).

Okay, I know my reply is not about children but it follows on from MM's point about superstitions...

#5 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 10:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Or maybe it's paranoia from the communist era - and who could blame them there?

#6 Posted: 23/8/2013 - 11:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.