Cameras and travel photography forum

New Camera

• keentravell-
    er12

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Hi,

Im going travelling in February next year to south east asia and im in desperate need for a new camera.

The main things i will be using the camera for are:

Underwater photos/videos
    General photos and videos

Can anyone reccomend me a good camera to purchase my budget is around £200-300 pounds.
    p.s. i heard the olympus tough tg-2 is good....

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 12:00

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

How deep underwater do you need the camera to go? There are some cameras that are waterproof down to about 2-3 meters but some cameras like the Oly TG-2 can go deeper. Assuming you need a camera that can go deeper than 2-3 meters, the Olympus TG-2 and the Panasonic Lumix TS5 are your best bets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/25/reviewed-waterproof-camera-roundup/2355637/

In addition, you'd need to check the buoyancy of the camera because you might need to buy a foam strap to keep the camera from sinking in case you let go of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Orange-Floating-Fujifilm-FinePix/dp/B003PISXEO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

#2 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 21:30

• Alicebackpa-
    cker

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

The Lumix FT4 by Panasonic goes 12m underwater, I haven't tried it yet but its a really good camera otherwise for taking nice travel photos and also includes panorama.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 05:25

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Depends on what extras you wann ahsve on your cam.

I own the Fuji XP200 for snorkling and scuba diving ( up to 15 m waterproof). Great cam, looks really cool in yellow and the pics are OK. It is an outdoor cam and good to handle underwater.

Else you can have a look at the little better, little older but with GPS and compass equipped Nikon AW110. The pictures are better but maybe a little harder to use, especially underwater. But it makes better pics than the XP200 and it has GPS.

The reason I bought the Fuji is, that I have a pocket camera for normal use and only use the XP200 for scuba and snorkling. The main features of the camera can be operated even when wearing diving gloves.

#4 Posted: 20/8/2013 - 05:04

• raygun

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

I've used some waterproof/shockproof compact cameras before, but these days I'd instead be looking at a GoPro or a GoPro knockoff on ebay.

#5 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 04:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.