Cameras and travel photography forum

Online pictures storage…. And question about theft.

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

So I will be bring my DSLR with me and often shooting in Raw, though not always. I'm looking for online storage that allows me to keep the files just as they are, has a decent amount of space (I'll be gone for a month taking a ton of pictures), and is fairly quick with uploading. I realize I'll be having some spotty wifi along the way.

I'm not interesting in having external drives or anything physical. I'll already be backing it up that way. And I don't want to be mailing stuff back home all the time. This is in case I get all my stuff stolen. I want to have my pictures online somewhere so I can access them later. I don't need any kind of viewing options either. Merely for storage.

Does anybody have a site they can recommend?

On the same note, how safe do you find it is locking your pack in a locker at a hostel (with your own lock)? And what about safes? I was always told to not use them, but a lot of people see to. What about in your room if you leave "do no disturb" on your door?

#1 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• raygun

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

I would use dropbox, which is simple, free but you'll likely need to pay for it to hold a bunch of raw photos. There are a few different similar sites too. I think it will cost a lot, probably more then you want to store a bunch of stuff, likely take too long to upload on random wifi, but might work if you're selective. I'm doing a similar solo photography thing in SE Asia soon. I'll probably just get a terabyte external hard drive, like a WD passport, and a waterproof case which holds it. I may upload my favorites to dropbox, but I think I'm going to shoot way more than anything online is going to be able to hold. Cheers!

#2 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 04:10

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/) offers 1 terabyte of storage completely free. Not sure about uploading RAW, but I assume it would work just fine.

As for your second question...each property is different. Some places are more susceptible to theft, but I've found that whenever I've used a locker (with or without my own lock) none of my stuff has ever been messed with.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2014 - 22:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.