Cameras and travel photography forum

Is it worth buying a camera in the airport?

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Hi Guys,
    I will be flying through Singapore on my way to Vietnam & Cambodia and I was wondering if it was worth it to hold out and buy a camera in my 4 hr stop-over at Changi airport rather than buying at home here in Aust?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 1/1/2008 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not sure -- I guess it would depend on the kind of camera you're after. It's also worth noting that Duty free isn't always the bargain you'd think -- TravelHappy has a good story on buying a camera in Bangkok -- while you're not going there, is may be of use for background info.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2008 - 18:32

• roundEath

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2008

Ashee88, The cameras at Changi airport are not much different in price to what you can get back here in Oz. In fact, not much is. There's no competition amongst shops at the airport and hence no incentive for any of the shops to price their cameras down. It's only worth buying in Singapore if you buy it in areas where there are many shops selling the same thing and clustered together - that's when you can really bring the price down by pitting one store against another.

This goes for just about anything else anyone is considering buying. Duty free at the airport is just that - 'free of duty'. It's NOT the same as 'lower than recommended retail price'! Buy in town, it is cheaper if you know where to go and how to beat the price down. However, when it comes to liquor, if I am not mistaken, there is still the push by Changi Airport to be the place where you can get the cheapest liquor in the world - by how much is another story.

Also, if you do get into town and buy stuff, unless you have very deep pockets to be able to buy thousands of dollars of items *and* from select shops, you CANNOT get the duty back on the goods you buy.

Cheers.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 08:49

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Hi,
    somtam & roundEath - you've been instrumental in me proving my brother wrong. Many Thanks! I think we'll buy a camra in Aust before we leave now

#4 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 09:07

• footprints

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2008

nah.. i dont think is worth buying at the airport if u r going to the city.. prices are can be much cheaper.. try Audio House at liang court, great place for tourist, no worries of being cheated as they are awarded with excellence service by singapore tourism board.

#5 Posted: 21/1/2008 - 21:31

• lradke89

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2012

You should have an eye for the camera specs. Unless your buying it just for the trip, then that's not a problem.

Bobby V

#6 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 09:53

• jess_25

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

Hi Ashe88,

You did the right thing of buying a camera first there in Aust before leaving. At least you can use the warranty if a problem with the camera comes up and I'm pretty sure you'll have it at cheaper cost since most of the gadgets in the airport are more expensive.

#7 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 11:48

• jenica

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2012

I don't think it is a good idea. If I we’re in your shoe Iwould buy a camera at the mall since it is much cheaper and there are lot ofmodel or brand of it I can choose at very affordable price.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 00:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Camera buying in PP ... By pete61 on 28 Sep 2009 3 4196 3 Oct 2009
Buying a camera in Thailand ... By jp686 on 24 Oct 2011 3 2306 24 Oct 2011
Where to buy a good Camera in Bangkok? Is it worth it? Cheaper? ... By oberik on 7 Mar 2011 4 10081 10 Mar 2011
Buying a camera in Ho Chi Minh City ... By Lawoat on 22 Aug 2009 3 7040 25 Aug 2009
Buying a digital camera in Bangkok!!! ... By Ingrids on 24 Oct 2009 17 23251 1 Oct 2011