Cameras and travel photography forum

Cameras Mobiles Digital Gear risk ?

• henricartier

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2008

Does anyone know the range of mobiles phones in Thailand? Or just a bait for thieves? (best to leave the mobile home?) So, we leave home with laptop, mobile phone/digital camera etc. which all must shout 'tourist' beware/ valuables/lock up back packs/ leave nothing in rooms etc. that's why you have insurance . Dohhhh! Yeah right. ( I saw a guy get his arm slashed as an enterprising passenger thief on a motorcycle rode by, cut through the tourists' shoulder bag strap with a hunting knife and escaped with his bounty leaving the tourist bleeding on the sidewalk) Sure- travel is not without risk - calculate this risk - must have information + common sense. So I'm asking: What are your experience in Northern Thailand as I will be there (Chiang Mai and surrounds) - very soon, Any feedback would be helpful.

#1 Posted: 16/3/2008 - 21:25

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Take what you like and don't believe the paranoid rumours of other countries.

Petty crime rates are probably lower than in your home country.

Mobiles are a MUST.......get it unblocked and buy a Thai SIM card (50 baht) - cheap calls and contact all your new travelling friends.

Laptop...best if it is small enough to fit into a safe or buy a security cable.....cameras of course......I suppose if you intend to walk down the road with your room number painted on your back waving your possessions around and shouting "Look what I got!" you might need to take a reality check....but otherwise the only thing you need to think about is weight.

#2 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 10:39

• lauraskrink

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I'd agree with the above post! I'd heard the rumours but haven;t heard of anything like that actually happening out here yet! Think they are a but of an urban legend.

Mobiles are pretty useful, particularly if you buy a Thai sim which are really cheap!

We haven;t boght a laptop as internet access is everywhere and there isn't always Wifi! But if you want to bring for photos etc it isn;t a bad idea! We've been in SEA 9 weeks now and as yet the only theft we have heard of from anyone is the usual wallet pick-pocketing in the islands!

DOn't worry about, get soe travel insurance in case the worst happens and enjoy!

#3 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 14:03

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

The snatch and grab from motorcycles is rife in some parts of Thailand , but 99% of the time its for gold .

Dont be flash !

#4 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 18:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Digital cameras ... By marianwarren on 26 Sep 2006 5 2401 26 Sep 2006