Cameras and travel photography forum

shopping for cameras etc ? Do your homework !

• henricartier

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2008

In my humble experience, being in Singapore 5 times in the last four years, and spending an extraordinary amount of energy online to 'research' price fluctuations of a variety of consumables, especially electronics I have come to the conclusion:
    1. Do your homework - online and through forums, many specific to photo gear and purchases.
    2. Compare !( seems such an obvious thing to do but who does it ?)- prices at "home" - wherever you usually reside. Last time I bought a digital camera in Singapore it was about the same price in Australia- (minus a lot of hassle - unless you like the cut and thrust of "china town" or "bargain bazaar") With so-called 'bargaining' (read: price inflated for unwary foreigners - bargaining makes it seem cheaper when in reality it's 'R-retail')
    3. Singapore used to be cheap(er)with comparable economy and exchange rates to most OECD countries - not so today. Yes you may be lucky. But minus the 'english' instruction book, or warranty woes etcetera. Be aware - compare- do your homework, it's worth the few hours online when parting with a few K of hard-earned cash - for most of us poor folk anyway. Many so-called bargains in SE Asia are 'grey' products with dubious, if any warranty, or substitute packaging. However, you may save a few pennies- just make sure you let the vendor know you'll be passing through on your 'return' journey - soon -(even if you aren't) as some leverage (to obtain a little honesty) to ensure the product is going to work for at least 12 months!
    Finally- after much online searching I eventually bought a brand new Leica from a New York (US) store online- it arrived today - 6 days from ordering - via UPS and cost - wait for it - two thirds the price I would have paid in Oz. (that price INCLUDED freight and case, spare battery and SD card !)I checked prices with 'duty free' in Bangkok airport and Chiang Mai and their price was almost identical to Australian camera shops best prices. You have been warned !

#1 Posted: 18/3/2008 - 14:58

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.