Cameras and travel photography forum

Cheap Cameras in SE Asia

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi

My girlfriend lost her camera in Bangkok and we're wondering where you can buy a good quality camera in SE Asia for a decent price. Not looking for a SLR camera or anything, just a normal digital camera. We've had a look in Laos and Vietnam but they're surprisingly expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 17:43

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Drapes,

I don't think that you're going to find a great price for anything decent. At least, not for much less than what you would pay almost anywhere else. I've found that prices are fairly standard regardless of where you buy them. I'm guessing that your best bet would be in Bangkok.

You might want to try ordering one off of Amazon.com, or another shopping site. There are usually some good deals and often, depending on where you are, free shipping. Plus, packages usually arrive pretty fast. Likely a lot faster than the time you'd be spending shopping for one. I have friends in Bangkok, Lopburi, and Vientiane who order from Amazon all the time with no problems. You can have packages sent to the main post office (poste restante) or to a guest house.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 04:08

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Depending on what you're ordering you might have to pay a lot of taxes, at least it's what happens if a european orders other things than books, cd's or dvd's from the american amazon. As electronics are alot cheaper in the US, customs back in Europe charge all the money you'd have saved. This applies also for 2nd hand electronics.

The question is to know if in SE Asia they also charge taxes or not.

#3 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 04:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.