Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Helped neede for the inexperienced

• Simon10

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2010

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I will be travelling to south east asia and will be stopping off in singapore for 3 nights, we want to stay near to orchard road as we believe this is closer to the restuarant, nightlife etc. Can anyone recommend a budget hotel that is not a hostel around £50 a night. I have seen a few but it difficult to judge the quality and was wondering if anyone had a good experience.

I'm thinking about YWCA Fort Canning Lodge

All response are welcomed and appreciated

#1 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 03:33

• Advertisement

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

If u intend to stay in so called "happening" area it should be Orchard road !!! but it wuld be a bit tough for u to find a place less than S$150 but to be frank u can try around Novena/Newton area It's like 5 mins away from orchard and you could grab some cheeper deals.May be u culd try out Balestier Road(close Novena MRT)

#2 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 09:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you are happy paying £50 a night, you might want to consider Victoria Hotel. Depends on when you are going, but after a quick search I found it available in Oct/Nov for £57/night (on Agoda) - but you could search on other sites as well. I stayed there or 3 nights a year ago and found it very nice. It's within easy walking distance to the train stations, lots of restaurants, and a good cheap foodhall just up the road.

The hotel was very nice, clean, free WiFi (and free computers in the lobby), fridge, aircon, etc.

#3 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 09:57

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Sorry to say that with a budget of £50 a night, you would not get a decent room in Sg. Recent Asia survey stated Sg has the 2nd most expensive room rate in Asia. Apart from those "Love" hotel, you could hardly find one "good" one here. IMHO

#4 Posted: 30/10/2010 - 23:30

• villanovaju-
    nction

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

ymca is fine and is brilliantly located. you could walk to orchard road and the train station is less than 5 minutes away. the train would take you to anywhere in singapore. rides are around $2 SGD max.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 11:52

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

You could check out South East Asia hotel, its a small hotel in a pedestrian mall about 5mins walk to Bugis MRT station or a 15 min walk to Orchard Rd, you can book online, they have their own website and you pay when you get there, its 90sgd/ nite (around 44 quid). We stayed there in October 2010 its clean, safe, quite, private bathroom, telly, fridge, a/c, its pretty old but its fine, no bed bugs or hookers!! It was the best budget room I could find that was close to everything and I would stay there again! You would have to be the luckiest person in the world to find an orchard rd hotel for 50pounds a nite. Travel safe :)

#6 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 19:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.